2 2
ryoder

Justice Breyer to retire

(edited)

No, just like women and minorities, the candidate has to be absolutely perfect to the conservatives. Since there are more than one of them, there is, therefore, no perfect candidate, because someone objects.

Just like "your guy's" single stellar quality overcomes his many deficiencies, and the "other guy's" single deficiency can overcome his many stellar qualities.

Yes, there are single qualities that can drive -- consider single issue voters, and an otherwise all-around generous and competent person who has a single detestable quality. Yes, I understand that it's impossible to vote for a "nazi/abortionist/whatever."

Wendy P.

9_9

Edited by wmw999
to add rueful smiley

35 minutes ago, kallend said:

I'd love it just to see the GOP responses, but it won't happen.

https://tenor.com/es/ver/martian-head-explode-alien-banging-gif-14315862

Suggestion I saw on another forum:

Biden appoints Hillary, after making secret agreement she will decline the nomination before the vote takes place, but only after lots of GOP heads have exploded. [evil grin]

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ryoder said:

Justice Stephen Breyer, an influential liberal on the Supreme Court, to retire

My prediction:

- GOP senators (and Manchin and Sinema) will vote against every nominee Biden proposes.

- McConnell will proclaim a long-standing tradition of not confirming nominees in the first half of a decade.

Hi Robert,

I heard on the news that Breyer is the current 2nd longest serving justice.  So I wanted to know who is the longest currently serving and I found this:

Justice Clarence Thomas is the longest-serving member currently sitting on the bench.

I would argue that Thomas has yet to serve even one day.  He is simply a non-person.

Jerry Baumchen

15 hours ago, wmw999 said:

No, just like women and minorities, the candidate has to be absolutely perfect to the conservatives. Since there are more than one of them, there is, therefore, no perfect candidate, because someone objects

I've never been a fan of politicizing the Supreme Court. Don't like it when either side does it. 

13 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

As pointless, noncommittal, and silly as we've come to expect. Anyone can spout things, defending those things is the tricky bit. Why not show us you have a trick?

I don't care if you guys want to try Hillary.  It's simply a waste of time.  And, it will drive a bigger wedge into an already split republic.  Great idea.

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Oh I agree -- however, since in this case it's the Democratic president who has to nominate, it'll be the conservatives who have to agree.
Wendy P.

So long as the appointee is a trans lesbian of color, all the necessary qualifications are met.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I don't care if you guys want to try Hillary.  It's simply a waste of time.  And, it will drive a bigger wedge into an already split republic.  Great idea.

Kallend made a joke. You reply with "Please.  Try that.  Thanks." Why? Is what is happening to our nation that funny for you? Get things straight, the right is splitting the republic. The damage done by the election of Trump, his refusal to concede peacefully, his attempted coup by insurrection, his year plus long lie about a stolen election and the inability of people like you and Brent to see that you are not a part of the solution are what is dividing the nation. 

• Like 4

(edited)
24 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Kallend made a joke. You reply with "Please.  Try that.  Thanks." Why? Is what is happening to our nation that funny for you? Get things straight, the right is splitting the republic. The damage done by the election of Trump, his refusal to concede peacefully, his attempted coup by insurrection, his year plus long lie about a stolen election and the inability of people like you and Brent to see that you are not a part of the solution are what is dividing the nation. 

But suggestions of HRC and A. Hill are meant to bring us all together?  What about,

“Biden appoints Hillary, after making secret agreement she will decline the nomination before the vote takes place, but only after lots of GOP heads have exploded. [evil grin]”

You consider that to be just fine, yet you accuse someone who says “go ahead and do it” as divisive 9_9

I believe I am the only one on this thread who gave a serious answer.

Edited by brenthutch