skypuppy

what countries are aads mandatory?

I asked this question in 2006, but a lot may have changed since then, so I'm going to ask it again.

I'm looking to know if the parachuting federation in your country mandates them, not just the dz you jump at. And are there any exceptions to the rule if they are mandatory.

I;m looking for facts, not just 'when I was there 3 years they wouldn't let me jump without'.

The old thread said Israel, Denmark, Belgium, France were mandatory, no exceptions. Russia was suggested but then someone said that was only a particular dz...

If you want to add more about a dz that is mandatory, if it's big, or if you know how many dz's in your country vs how many don't require them that's fine, but like I said, the main focus is to know country-wide.

Some countries require up to d-licence levels but d=licence levels can vary according to number of jumps. Are there exceptions when doing crw or if you have an rsl, etc...

Thanks for your input...

THIS IS NOT A 'SHOULD AADS BE MANDATORY OR NOT' POLL!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

In the US:

Tandem systems are required to have an AAD (and it be properly maintained and armed for each tandem jump:

§105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems.
(b) No person may make a parachute jump with a tandem parachute system unless—
(3) The tandem parachute system contains an operational automatic activation device for the reserve parachute, approved by the manufacturer of that tandem parachute system. The device must—

(i) Have been maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions, and

(ii) Be armed during each tandem parachute operation.

There is no other legal requirement to have an AAD installed for a jump.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

CSPA requires all students (solo and tandem) to wear AADs until they earn an A Certificate. In addition, most Canadian DZs recommend AADs, while the bigger Canadian DZs require AADs for all jumpers.

There are subtle legal differences between the "recommended" and "required" so most DZOs are deliberately vague.

The bigger DZs in Quebec require AADs and since Quebec trains half of all the CSPA Certificate-holders, that makes Quebec DZs the busiest in Canada.!

riggerrob

CSPA requires all students (solo and tandem) to wear AADs until they earn an A Certificate. In addition, most Canadian DZs recommend AADs, while the bigger Canadian DZs require AADs for all jumpers.

I know Burnaby, Gan and pst don't require them. I'm not sure about skydive Niagara. but since Burnaby probably has the most fun jumpers in Ontario I'd say that the statement the bigger Canadian dzs require aads to be too broad. Does Lyal require them at Eden Skydive? Not sure, but I haven't heard he does...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.

In the Netherlands, an AAD is mandatory for tandems and for sport skydivers up to C-licence.

Moreover, the AAD you pick must be approved for your skill level. For instance, the Mars M2 is relatively new and hence only approved for sport jumpers with a C-licence or higher.

Exceptions:
1) foreign jumpers. They simply have to conform to their own regulations.
2) static-line rounds with a chest mounted reserve.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

At BPA dropzones, Tandems, Students and A licence parachutists must have AADs fitted and switched on. Some DZs mandate AADs for all but that isn't a BPA stipulation.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

TommyBotten

Norwegian federal authorities require an AAD mounted on all gear jumped by norwegian license holders. The skydiving clubs chief instructor may allow for certain jump types (i.e. planned water landings) to be done without one.

Would foreign jumpers be required to use an aad when jumping their own equipment? I noticed you just said 'gear jumped by Norwegian licence holders...'

i'm always having a GREAT time in croatia! skydiving included. the gear they jump though..

i've had my micron with me, when i got back to the dz after getting food, everyone sat around it and praised it. kinda funny. them folks dont seem to have too much access to modern gear.. :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

skypuppy

***CSPA requires all students (solo and tandem) to wear AADs until they earn an A Certificate. In addition, most Canadian DZs recommend AADs, while the bigger Canadian DZs require AADs for all jumpers.

Ok, after looking into this further, it seems that other than the dzs in quebec and skydive Toronto in Ontario, most other dzs in canada DO NOT REQUIRE aads for licenced, current skydivers. if you're a cdn and your dz does, and you want to mention it go ahead.

theonlyski

In the US:

Tandem systems are required to have an AAD (and it be properly maintained and armed for each tandem jump:

I was actually asking about national parachuting federation rules, so USPA, not just FAA. Does USPA not require aads for all student jumps?

skypuppy

***In the US:

I was actually asking about national parachuting federation rules, so USPA, not just FAA. Does USPA not require aads for all student jumps?

The federation of the United States falls under the FAA. USPA isn't a regulatory body, they're a membership organization and have no legal ability to do anything to non-members. As such, if you are not at a USPA member dropzone, there is no requirement for AADs outside of tandem system jumps.

USPA does add further regulations to it's member DZs and member jumpers, however none of those are legal and I believe that the worst they can do to you is revoke your licenses and ratings and drop your USPA membership.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

piisfish

mandatory in Spain

In Switzerland mandatory for students and tandems. Recommended for licensed skydivers. Some AAD's are prohibited at certain DZ's (Argus).

mandatory everywhere in spain, or just empuriabrava? and is it mandatory for crw jumps, etc?

skypuppy

***mandatory in Spain

In Switzerland mandatory for students and tandems. Recommended for licensed skydivers. Some AAD's are prohibited at certain DZ's (Argus).

mandatory everywhere in spain, or just empuriabrava? and is it mandatory for crw jumps, etc?

As far as I know AADs are mandatory at every DZ in Spain no matter which type of jump are you doing.
I have been in Skydivespain (Seville), Skydive Madrid (Ocaña), Skydive Lillo (Lillo), Skytime (Castellon) and before you are allowed to jump your gear is checked (including AAD )

Also have friends jumping in Skydivebcn (Barcelona) and AADs are also mandatory for every skydiver despite the type of jump

USPA BSRs concerning AADs on students may not be LAW in the USA, but they are best-business-practice because no REASONABLE instructor would allow a student to jump without an AAD.

OTOH, AADs on tandems are linked to US Federal Air Regulations because FARs always loop back to "in accordance with manufacturers' instructions." Manufacturers' instructions forbid FAA-licensed riggers to close tandem reserves lacking AADs and manufacturers' instructions forbid tandem instructors from jumping without AADs.

Rob,

I'm not saying that it's not best practice or a good idea to have AADs used whenever possible, the OP said where are they MANDATORY, and in the US, excluding the BSRs (which are not laws) they are not for most jumps.

riggerrob

OTOH, AADs on tandems are linked to US Federal Air Regulations because FARs always loop back to "in accordance with manufacturers' instructions." Manufacturers' instructions forbid FAA-licensed riggers to close tandem reserves lacking AADs and manufacturers' instructions forbid tandem instructors from jumping without AADs.

AADs on tandems are clearly required per part 105 (quoted above). Even if the manuals said nothing about requiring an AAD, part 105 requires it to be legal.

The old thread said Israel, Denmark, Belgium, France were mandatory, no exceptions. Russia was suggested

Ok, it is looking like Spain, Norway and Russia are mandatory aad since the old thread.

What about Italy, Germany, Cyprus, Dubai, South Africa, Sweden or others not yet mentioned?