brenthutch

Rats leaving a sinking ship

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Twenty eight and counting.

LOVE the thread title. Love more that you extrapolate less than the full picture.

https://ballotpedia.org/List_of_U.S._Congress_incumbents_who_are_not_running_for_re-election_in_2022

U.S. House announcements over time by election cycle, 2018-2022 shows 2018 being more than 2020 or 2022 with 2022 being the least.

We all know that cherry picking data to give a misleading impression is just what he does.  Same as in the climate change threads. No-one should take anything he posts at face value.  For that matter, it's not a bad idea to double check whenever anyone posts numbers, especially if they are presented to tell a one-sided story.

Thanks for the link.  That's exactly the information I was wondering about.  It might be a bit early to compare 2022 to earlier years though.  Still, so far the numbers seem pretty much normal.  I don't see anything untoward about people in their 70s, or who have been in Washington for decades, choosing to retire.  Especially considering how toxic it has become. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

...  I don't see anything untoward about people in their 70s, or who have been in Washington for decades, choosing to retire.  Especially considering how toxic it has become. 

Yeah, those death threats tend to make retirement look pretty good.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, winsor said:

I recall that when Nixon was foundering and his supporters were fleeing, National Lampoon's headline blared "Rats Leave Sinking Shit!"

And I remember the "Stop Persecuting my President" bumper stickers.  I'm not sure what they did with those when Nixon resigned in disgrace.

2 hours ago, headoverheels said:

And I remember the "Stop Persecuting my President" bumper stickers.  I'm not sure what they did with those when Nixon resigned in disgrace.

It seems Trump's goal was to make Tricky Dick seem like a paragon of virtue by comparison.

Given by what we tend to elect, I suspect we are doomed.