bdenny20

Winter DZ

Seen posts around here inquiring over dropzones that are open in the winter. Seems some folk around here assume everyone closes up around October, so when the somewhat sarcastic remarks show up to point out that a majority of the DZ's south of Nebraska are open, the OP looks silly.

I will be a little more specific. What's the nearest DZ that anyone can think of to southern NY. I'm not particularly concerned about how far I have to drive, I'm just curious how far I would have to drive to get somewhere in case I start getting cabin fever sometime in January.

Be it Pennsylvania or Maryland, I don't care. The websites I've visited don't specify. I'm an overnights guy, so I COULD make phone calls in the AM, but that would severely impede on my precious sleep time. Whatcha got.

Yep. I see that, and it is how I looked up websites to see if they are open in the winter, most of which do not specify.

After a little creative Googling, I found Skydive Connecticut. Only a few hours away with some limited winter operations. That may be my ticket.

Cross Keys. If it still hasn't folded (check with them after Dec. 22nd).

There was also one that was still open in upstate in the adirondacks last year.

But really the NYC area jumpers take vacation time in the winter and go to Florida, Puerto Rico, Mexico, etc.

Connecticut has Connecticut Parachutists Inc (CPI) in Ellington. I'm not sure what "Skydive Connecticut" is, but it might be a front for Skyride, since it's not a real DZ name.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy. It's the same one. It was a long night...I saw the website URL, which was skydivect.com, and it was all over. But I like how that place sounds, only 3 hours away...hell, I go further than that when I want to go skiing.

And I'd LOVE to take a vacation at some point and go somewhere warm. It all depends on my work and school schedule. I work my ass off to support expensive hobbies, and go to school like a boss because I already know I don't want to be doing it for 4 years. I'm already 5 years older than the average senior there.

I have some family in Cali. Maybe I should pay them a visit over the winter...and accidentally get lost and spend the day in Perris. Who knows!

Skydive Arizona. You can stay in the bunkhouse CHEAP or even set up a tent or if your old like me then the hotel is decent and fairly price or just rent the team room if you want privacy. Perris a great place to jump just not as "cheap" to spend a week and jump your ass off as staying at Skydive AZ.

They have a shuttle that runs to the airport so you don't even have to rent a car. If you need groceries there is always someone that will run you into town or just eat at the bent prop but that can get costly if your staying for an extended time on a budget.

Showers are clean and the people friendly and the tunnel is on site :) Sounds like I work for them doesn't it? LOL I have 200+ of my 1000 skydives there so I really do like the place.

I will be making a journey for at least a couple days before I hang up jumping but I will also be back to Perris and will make sure I get my jump in at Elsinore since the only time I went was after getting slammed so hard at Perris I thought I broke my back.

Oh and last but not least is Lodi. Lodi is the cheapest place to jump and you can camp but commodities are not as easy to come by nor is travel to and from. Lots here have issue with Bill and I cant say they aren't justified.My first visit he said grab a rig your on the next load without even checking to see that I knew what the fuck I was doing. I had 57 jumps and he didn't know a thing. I asked if he wanted to see my license he said hell no we don't care about those we skydive here LOL He noticed the blank look on my face and asked ok where do you jump I said Skydive Ogden and he said oh great Brian's place. Your good grab a rig your on a 5 minute call..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

bdenny20

Seen posts around here inquiring over dropzones that are open in the winter. Seems some folk around here assume everyone closes up around October, so when the somewhat sarcastic remarks show up to point out that a majority of the DZ's south of Nebraska are open, the OP looks silly.

I will be a little more specific. What's the nearest DZ that anyone can think of to southern NY. I'm not particularly concerned about how far I have to drive, I'm just curious how far I would have to drive to get somewhere in case I start getting cabin fever sometime in January.

Be it Pennsylvania or Maryland, I don't care. The websites I've visited don't specify. I'm an overnights guy, so I COULD make phone calls in the AM, but that would severely impede on my precious sleep time. Whatcha got.

I believe all of the Virginia dropzones are open in the winter. Which doesn't necessarily mean every weekend (some weekends aren't jumpable), but they don't close down for extended periods.

I don't know any of the details of winter operations anywhere north of that, though.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Southern_Man

I believe all of the Virginia dropzones are open in the winter. Which doesn't necessarily mean every weekend (some weekends aren't jumpable), but they don't close down for extended periods.

I don't know any of the details of winter operations anywhere north of that, though.

I was unable to complete AFF in NJ this season due to flight restrictions at the DZ but I'll be going to Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures in New Market, VA to jump over the winter. They operate year round with a short break around Christmas. I did my first tandem there and let me tell you, amazing people! I highly recommend you check them out for some winter jumps!