shorehambeach

Jumping from B24 Liberator or B25 Mitchell

Yankee Air Museum flies a B17 and B25. http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/ I don't know if they have used theirs for jumping. Collings foundation flies a B17 and B24. http://www.collingsfoundation.org/ Collings has brought them to skydiving events in the past. I think last year it was in the Chicago area for jumps. Hmmm, maybe somewhere else but at least jumps were available from the B17 at least once last year. Don't remember this year.

Collings foundation is almost done for the year and I don't know of any more jump events planned. Yankee Air Museum is done for the year. Both take the winter off for service and because of weather. Look for their schedules next spring and for skydiving events. You cannot jump at most of the flight events around the country. They are rides only. I expect perhaps one or two events next year where you may be able to jump the B24. I don't think I've ever heard of the B25 being used for jumps. The Collings B17 and B24 were usually at the old Free Conventions. I've jumped the B17.

Other can correct me about whether the YAM planes are used for jumping.

So, keep track next year of events for your one or two chances.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Apparently, Collins foundation will no longer be letting their B17 to be used for jumping. A good friend who has been organizing yearly jumps in my area with them was told "no more".
As for a B24 or B25, good luck. They were never set up to easily get passengers from the cabin area to the bombbay. The crew had to crawl though the tunnel in order to get from the front to the back.

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

Your best bet is the B24 from Collings Foundation. I have jumped it via the bomb bay, but I gotta warn you, it is a very "snaggy" enviroment inside. Everything is sharp and pointy. I have spent about 3 hours flying around in a B17 and it is worse. It's just as snaggy and about 1/2 the room. It's not impossible, just not easy. You can probably forget about the B25. It's about 1/3 the size inside as a B17. There is no access between the forward and aft compartments nor is there access to the bomb bay inflight. Again, not impossible, but more difficult. Guys "bailed out" of these planes all the time, but generaly it was a dire situation and better than burning alive.

The 24 hasn't been jumpable for years. It's classified experimental-go figure. Never looked into the 25 but it doesn't look like it would be a good plan due to access issues. The 17, lots of people have jumped it but officially that's over. Now you kinda have to "know a guy" ;)

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

B-25 Mitchell bomber ... I have never jumped it, but did drop a stack of rubber dummies from it.
Only skinny teenagers can access the bomb-bay.
If would ask the pilot if he is willing to remove the hatch and ladder leading the the amidships gunners' stations. That would allow you to drop straight through the floor, immediately aft of the bomb-bay. If you are not too fussy about seat-belts, you could stand a half dozen skydivers in that cabin.
Oh!
And before you jump, ask a British paratrooper about the finer points of "ringing your bell!"
Hah!
Hah!
However, the most fun seat in the B-25 is the tail gunners'! Quite the rush sitting on a belt watching the runway recede during take-off!
Sorry, but balance issues only allow one person in the tail turret per take-off.