9 9
Rustbucket350

Rough Canopy Opening

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Rustbucket, you are why DZ.com exists, and bring a breath of fresh air. Thanks for posting -- I mean it.

Wendy P.

Hey, thank you.  I want to learn.  I don't exactly know why but every time I step off the aircraft I love it.  I love flying my body and flying the canopy..  I may suck but we all start at the bottom.

• Like 1

Didn't think this was impressive, honestly I thought I'd do better.  Tunnel is one thing but when you fly with some else attached, yeah it can go sideways.  Like I said.  I passed because I corrected that turn.  Wish they had let me loose longer after.  Also, it's really hard to correct a spin when you have someone clinging on.  Not his fault. He's an awesome instructor.

it's hard to say for sure from the video, but it looks like your right leg was cocked to the side while your left leg was straight.  maybe that's where the turn came from.  i had a problem with my leg position that gave me all kinds of problems.  not much video back in the day, and tunnels weren't that prevalent either.

• Like 1

(edited)

Loved reading all of this, very relatable! I finished AFF a month ago, had to wait for 3 weeks for my first solo (weather) and did that last weekend. Looking up stuff to find out what to work on now that I’m solo but ended up reading all of this. 

Edited by Grindhoven

(edited)
2 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

it's hard to say for sure from the video, but it looks like your right leg was cocked to the side while your left leg was straight.  maybe that's where the turn came from.  i had a problem with my leg position that gave me all kinds of problems.  not much video back in the day, and tunnels weren't that prevalent either.

Think I had a twist in my body so I breathed and relaxed since I was like ah another repeat.  Oh well that cloud looks cool!

Edited by Rustbucket350

Definitely won't be able to clear my airspace and track with my baby forward movement but the tunnel is much smaller than the sky.  Also I feel like I'm going to de arch by fully extending my legs.  Funny thing I heard is one tunnel coach say an injury can prevent proper body position (since it'll make you weak on that side).  Well.  I made my first jump with staples in my left thigh from a stab wound.  Turns out, it's my stronger but less dominant side.

On 6/16/2022 at 2:14 AM, Rustbucket350 said:

Definitely won't be able to clear my airspace and track with my baby forward movement but the tunnel is much smaller than the sky.  Also I feel like I'm going to de arch by fully extending my legs...

You do de-arch some when you extend your legs all the way.

You're trading some stability for additional drag (creates the drive).

At this point, you should be able to remain more or less stable without the 'full blown arch'.
If not quite yet, soon.

12 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

You do de-arch some when you extend your legs all the way.

You're trading some stability for additional drag (creates the drive).

At this point, you should be able to remain more or less stable without the 'full blown arch'.
If not quite yet, soon.

Gave it another whirl today and I see that now.  Forward and backward felt great and was able to get an attempt at the Mantis position.  Not that I need that for AFF but it was fun.

(edited)

Thanks for the kind words!  I know it's probably a matter of weeks before I go back.  I just love flying the canopy.  Don't care if it is a student 220 and I weigh 140.  It's awesome.  Yeah it's slow and I never stand up a landing but so what?  It's fun.  People talk about downsizing and I'm like why?  Less time in the sky more time eating dirt. 

Definitely ate my fair share of dirt on a 220 when I flared way too high.   I thought in hindsight it was 10 feet.  Instructor said the flare was 20 feet.  High fives all around and I actually got congratulated on a magnificent plf.  

Edited by Rustbucket350

10 minutes ago, Rustbucket350 said:

Thanks for the kind words!  I know it's probably a matter of weeks before I go back.  I just love flying the canopy.  Don't care if it is a student 220 and I weigh 140.  It's awesome.  Yeah it's slow and I never stand up a landing but so what?  It's fun.  People talk about downsizing and I'm like why?  Less time in the sky more time eating dirt. 

Definitely ate my fair share of dirt on a 220 when I flared way too high.   I thought in hindsight it was 10 feet.  Instructor said the flare was 20 feet.  High fives all around and I actually got congratulated on a magnificent plf.  

Probably also sounds dumb from a student but I do miss the view.