1 1
JerryBaumchen

Family Troubles

On 12/15/2022 at 3:11 PM, GeorgiaDon said:

When I was in late high school I lived on a Canadian military base (CFB Borden).  It was almost impossible to date girls the same age because all the military guys were after them.  They seemed a lot older to me, but in reality they were probably in their early to mid 20s so not that much older than 17-18 year old high school girls.  Lots of girls got pregnant even at 15 or 16.  Lots of shotgun marriages too.

HEY!
I resemble that remark.

I celebrated my 22 birthday while on course at CFB Borden. I was banging a chick who was in her late teens. We never discussed her age or condoms or any other form of birth control or sexually transmitted diseases.

Since that was back in the days when sex was safe and skydiving was dangerous, I also did my first 50 skydives that summer.

19 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi 17,

Sort of like Piper Laurie & Ronald Reagan.  She was 18 & he was 39.

Jerry Baumchen

Why does that remind me of a story from the Bible?

A well-established carpenter named Joseph who took in a teenaged fiance named Mary .... but under old Jewish tradition, they did not have to marry (in the synagog) until she delivered a child. The goal was to match fertile young women with older, well-established men who could well-afford to raise children.

This same logic applies to Muslims and Mormons taking more than one wife. The Mormon practice of polygamy was also driven by high male mortality rates during their bloody expulsion from the Mid-West and on-going battles with native Utes, etc. who were reluctant to give up land to these pale-faced new-commers.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:50 PM, dudeman17 said:

One thing that I've found kind of odd, is watch old movies from the 40's or 50's. They often portray significant age differences. It's common to see actresses in their twenties playing the love interest or spouse to actors in their forties and fifties. One movie I saw a while back, it was a true story about a backwoods hick who became a WWll hero, and at the end he goes home and marries his longtime girlfriend. I don't know if this was historically accurate, but the actor was in his forties and the actress was sixteen.

Thankfully this was balanced out in the 70s with Harold and Maude.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NewGuy2005 said:

That was a great movie.

I loved it when I finally saw it but I was a toddler when it came out. I only found out about it because I live a few miles from Mori point where Harold sent the Jag hearse over the cliff into the pacific. Definitely a different movie than what you would have seen in the 50s