1 1
brenthutch

EVs vs SUVs

Well, the future of hybrids just took a step. Not sure if it's 'forwards', 'sideways', or 'into battle'.

Oshkosh Defense just unveiled a new prototype. It's the same as the JLTV, but it's a hybrid.

It offers the standard 'better fuel economy' that all hybrids offer.
It also offers a 115kw 'export power' capability. So it reduces the need for separate generators (not eliminate, but reduce).

And the best part?
The 'fun' part?

Remember the big complaint about EVs? That they're so quiet that people can't hear them coming?

Think about that in a combat situation.
Where the vehicle you're driving has no engine noise. Just the tires as they go over the ground.

Oshkosh calls that 'silent mode'.

But, yeah, hybrids & EVs are for wimps & tree huggers.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/2022/01/25/oshkosh-corp-unveils-electric-hybrid-military-vehicle/9208176002/

11 minutes ago, billvon said:

And soyboys who think stealth is manly!  It's effeminate, is what it is.  (That's an insult to petrosexuals BTW.)

Bill, why the EV fetish?  We have plenty of oil, they do nothing to “save the planet” they are more expensive, they lack the capacity and range of traditional IC powered vehicles, I will grant you they are great at drag racing but my lowly Honda would crush a Tesla in the majority of auto sport races more than a few hundred miles.
BTW I have nothing against EVs per se, if they can win in the free market, without government support, I am all for them.

46 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

As long as the government is subsidizing EVs to the tune of $7500 per vehicle, it’s not a free market.

The only free market in a modern economy is the food bank. Please try to grasp that fundamental truth. And while you're there studying, grab a box. They cater to unemployed economists, you know.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The only free market in a modern economy is the food bank. Please try to grasp that fundamental truth. And while you're there studying, grab a box. They cater to unemployed economists, you know.

The bill in Texas alone for plugging and remediating orphan oil wills is calculated at $117 Billion. Which is enough to give a free new Prius to every second household in the entire state. Of course the GOP economists like Brent will never admit that. Admit that that unfunded liability even exists.FOXonomics tells them everything they need to know on to F#%k the country while lining their pockets.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, olofscience said:

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.

25 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Olof,

Re:  That is very clever, did you come up with that all on your own?

What Brent probably does not know is that is a quote from the Saudi Oil Minister about 20+ yrs ago.

Jerry Baumchen

Some people still live in the Luddite age.

23 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

What Brent probably does not know is that is a quote from the Saudi Oil Minister about 20+ yrs ago.

Thanks! I obviously didn't come up with it, but it was just so noticeable that brent decided to attack me instead of addressing the point.

The pandemic has been great for electric car sales

(edited)
38 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Olof,

Re:  That is very clever, did you come up with that all on your own?

Jerry Baumchen

It has been used several times in the past on SC.  It makes me sad when one is reduced to copying the copiers and then trying to pass it of as an original idea (no quotations):`(

Edited by brenthutch

5 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Thanks! I obviously didn't come up with it, but it was just so noticeable that brent decided to attack me instead of addressing the point.

The pandemic has been great for electric car sales

This point?

“the chip shortage "perversely sort of helped" boost electric vehicle sales.”

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

This point?

“the chip shortage "perversely sort of helped" boost electric vehicle sales.”

It helped because it's a more responsive industry to market conditions. That's a little easier because it's smaller (but still bigger than Volvo or Subaru), but that's kind of like living in current reality, not where-you-wished-we-were reality. BTW, there's a difference between living in an imaginary version and working towards a desired goal.

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

It helped because it's a more responsive industry to market conditions. That's a little easier because it's smaller (but still bigger than Volvo or Subaru), but that's kind of like living in current reality, not where-you-wished-we-were reality. BTW, there's a difference between living in an imaginary version and working towards a desired goal.

Wendy P.

One of the factors was that electric vehicles usually used fewer, but more advanced chips, and ICE vehicles used hundreds of less-advanced chips so they were impacted more with the shortage.

One thing about the more advanced chips is that they take up less space on a silicon wafer so you can make more of them per wafer. There's also more available silicon fab capacity available at the high end rather than the low end.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:40 PM, CygnusX-1 said:

Wait, Bill did you accidently solve the naysayers talking point about "What do we do with all these used vehicle batteries that are going to end up in a landfill?"

Just pay some red neck to put it on blocks in his yard.  Cheaper than land fill fees.

• Like 1