4 4
RedKite

Skydiving with 'foot drop / drop foot'

Hello All

I suffered total 'foot drop' in my right foot last summer after some back surgery. You will either know what the condition is or you won't so I won't go into detail if that's okay. 

I was seeking advice from anyone else who has this condition and has continued to jump...difficulties they encountered...special boots, kit they use....

I have been jumping for nearly 40 years and do not want to give up.....

Thanks... :)

Might be. Or it might be that whoever it is doesn't post here... The old timers skydiving group on Facebook might be able to help; there are a lot of current jumpers on it too, and given the name, they're older and more likely to know someone.

Wendy P.

(edited)
On 4/2/2022 at 9:29 AM, poe17 said:

Maybe some sort of brace will help , someone I jumped with used one . Possible link : https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/foot-drop/multimedia/img-20119581 .  Good luck !!

Thank you...I saw a neurosurgeon and he referred me to the orthotic unit.

They fitted me with a carbon fibre brace like this.....I did five jumps last weekend without any landing problems....but nil wind landings are a no-no from now on........I can live with that.^.^

Illustration of foot drop and brace

Edited by RedKite
  • Like 1