1 1
JerryBaumchen

Arbery's Killers

(edited)

One of the more incredible (there are lots of other adjectives that can also apply) is that the reason the case gained 'traction' was because the dad gave the video taken by the third guy to an attorney. It was then leaked, intending to show that the murder was justified.

The outcry from that made the attorney pull the video very quickly, but it was already too late.

If those dipshits weren't stupid enough to think that what they did was ok (neither the father nor son has expressed any remorse), they may never have been prosecuted.

Edited by wolfriverjoe

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Evening Jerry,

There are some crimes that make me question my position on the Death Penalty.

Hi Keith,

We think alike.

However, I am beginning to agree with Andy9o8, an attorney who used to post a lot here.  He was against the death penalty unless one killed or was responsible for a killing while incarcerated.

IMO not a bad position to take.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Evening Jerry,

There are some crimes that make me question my position on the Death Penalty.

I think there are some crimes that clearly deserve the death penalty.

However, it can be easily shown that the DP is applied to poor minorities at rates well above representation in court cases.

The fact that the prosecutor didn't seek it in this case (three white defendants, one black victim) says a lot.

That's why I'm against it.
Not that I don't think certain people deserve it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I think there are some crimes that clearly deserve the death penalty.

However, it can be easily shown that the DP is applied to poor minorities at rates well above representation in court cases.

The fact that the prosecutor didn't seek it in this case (three white defendants, one black victim) says a lot.

That's why I'm against it.
Not that I don't think certain people deserve it.

Hi Joe,

I do agree.  However, I am also against it because:

- IMO it is barbaric

- It is not necessary to protect society

- The finality of it - No matter what new information is later discovered - Consider what these people have found out over the years:  Innocence Project - Help us put an end to wrongful convictions!

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  While in Basic Training ( a couple of lifetimes ago ), SSGT Willocks told us that he considered life in prison a worse sentence than the death penalty.  That is when I began seriously thinking about it.

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

I do agree.  However, I am also against it because:

- IMO it is barbaric

- It is not necessary to protect society

Yes, and it is too much power to give the government. There are definitely criminals that I do not feel the least bit sorry for when they are executed. But I feel even more sorry for the people who have to run the machinery of death. A nation that has capital punishment is one that turns it's own people into killers. And as you say, at this time we don't need it. Unless someone kills my loved one that is. Quite a paradox.

On 1/7/2022 at 7:22 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

However, I am beginning to agree with Andy9o8, an attorney who used to post a lot here.  He was against the death penalty unless one killed or was responsible for a killing while incarcerated.

Pretty sure that was Lawrocket.

52 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I miss them both. I didn't always agree with them, especially Lawrocket, but they both always made me think about my position on things.

They were both able to debate rationally & intelligently.
They had positions that they were able to back up with facts & data (and linked stuff that was relevant and trustworthy). 

Both were articulate & polite while doing so.

I didn't always agree with either of them, but I enjoyed learning how they felt about stuff & why.

(edited)
1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I miss them both. I didn't always agree with them, especially Lawrocket, but they both always made me think about my position on things.

Hi Don,

I also miss them both.  I learned a lot from both of them.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I also learn a lot when 'discussing' things with my son.  He can & does take me to task.

Edited by JerryBaumchen