Starx

Where do yall get your weather info?

I have an app that will translate METAR and there's an AWOS that I can call but both of those give real time weather, not forecasts.

For forcasts the only thing I have is weather underground. Unfortunately telling me it's 60% overcast doesn't help much because I don't know if that overcast is going to be at 5000 ft (boo) or 15000 ft (yay!).

It's a 2 hour drive for me so it extra sucks to sit on weather hold. Can anyone suggest some better resources for me to make my go/no go decision in the mornings?

Starx

Where do y'all get your weather info?

I have simply collected a massive amount of links to various sources related to my area. Here is what I use for the St. Louis area. You can "back up" from these links to see where the sources are for your area. http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/weather.htm I wrote the scripts for the "US Winds Aloft Forecast for Drop Zones" and "Translated US METARs for Drop Zones".

RXB17

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi
I use this in conjunction with weather underground to get a pretty decent idea of what the weather is going to be. It's still only good that day or sometimes the day before

Clicky Fixie :)
That's what I use. It's a "decode" of the 'airplane' forecast. It has ceilings, winds & visibilities.

It only goes out 36 hours, but that level of forecast is pretty accurate.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

***http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi
I use this in conjunction with weather underground to get a pretty decent idea of what the weather is going to be. It's still only good that day or sometimes the day before

Clicky Fixie :)
That's what I use. It's a "decode" of the 'airplane' forecast. It has ceilings, winds & visibilities.

It only goes out 36 hours, but that level of forecast is pretty accurate.

Yep, this one is pretty good.

You're right, John. I was just out there dropping my rig off for a reserve repack. Even the two Caravans are in the hangar avoiding the rain and wind!
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

Use the TAF functions on the METAR. Major METAR stations will give you forecasted data for several time periods usually over a 24-hour period (or greater).

Also NOAA offers a really cool report called the "Aviation Forecast Discussion" which is essentially the regional forecaster's interpretation of the NWS local data so you get a kind of dumbed down "is it VFR/IFR?" what kind of pressure moving through, etc. For winds I haven't found any more accurate reports than the Windfinder.com super forecast.

IMHO as both a pilot, skydiver and as someone who makes a living from the weather, USAirnet is inaccurate but I also live in a pretty difficult region as far as forecasting goes. YMMV

JohnMitchell

We have a Metars station 100 yards from our landing area, so I use that. Luckily I speak fluent Metars. :)
KSHN 311453Z AUTO 21021G31KT 6SM -RA BR SCT015 BKN024 OVC045 16/14 A2956 RMK AO2 PK WND 21031/1447

Today looks like a good day to stay home and brew beer. [:/]

That looks like a blast... I wouldn't even want to be outside in that! :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message