1 1
fcajump

Hard to inspect locations on the harness

Ok, I know what I do, but wanted to hear other thoughts on how the harder to reach/see areas of the harness are inspected, such as:

• Leg strap - under the pads
  • Confluence Wrap under the mud-flap
  • back straps within the harness

Now, I know that every rigger here inspects every inch of every rig, every time.

But how well do you expect other rigger's check there areas?  How confident are you that they can be  completely inspected?  What design changes might you suggest to make them easier to check?

My biggest personal desire is to not have the leg padding bar-tacked to the leg straps.

Some rigs are easier to see/feel the back straps than others...

For components that are structurally critical and yet inaccessible (difficult access) for inspection, how confident are you that they are always done correctly at the factory and that they are not having any issues through use?

What do you do to ensure they are still in good shape?

JW

4 hours ago, fcajump said:

Ok, I know what I do, but wanted to hear other thoughts on how the harder to reach/see areas of the harness are inspected, such as:

• Leg strap - under the pads
  • Confluence Wrap under the mud-flap
  • back straps within the harness

Now, I know that every rigger here inspects every inch of every rig, every time.

But how well do you expect other rigger's check there areas?  How confident are you that they can be  completely inspected?  What design changes might you suggest to make them easier to check?

My biggest personal desire is to not have the leg padding bar-tacked to the leg straps.

Some rigs are easier to see/feel the back straps than others...

For components that are structurally critical and yet inaccessible (difficult access) for inspection, how confident are you that they are always done correctly at the factory and that they are not having any issues through use?

What do you do to ensure they are still in good shape?

JW

Hi Jim,

Let me add one more location:  The ball end on the ripcord cable when it is enclosed inside a soft reserve ripcord pud.

Sorta difficult to inspect, no?

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

3 Ring confluence wrap is easy to inspect on most rigs. Just pull the wrap part-way out of its protective "mud flap."

If I can't do that, I slide a finger inside to feel the stitching. I have sewn a few hundred WMW stitches and know what they feel like with my eyes closed.

Otherwise, most of the harness joints that are covered (e.g. back straps) are inspected at the factory before the back pad is closed. Given the wrap-around configuration of most back straps, even neglected stitching would make little difference.

There is a good reason that hip junctions are covered by fabric leg pads: to protect them against abbrassion when you slide landings.