mab1218

Is it safe to buy off the classified ???

Hello Hello
So I've just finish the AFF course and I'm looking into buying an older cheap rig from the classified ! how safe is it buying from there ?
This is a lot of money for me and it seems like there is a lot of scam going on...
Any other place I can look for used gear ?
Thanks

mab1218

Hello Hello
So I've just finish the AFF course and I'm looking into buying an older cheap rig from the classified ! how safe is it buying from there ?
This is a lot of money for me and it seems like there is a lot of scam going on...
Any other place I can look for used gear ?
Thanks

Gear dealers sometimes have some great used gear

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1144.asp

http://www.skydivedeland.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=15&Itemid=110

http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/used-skydiving-gear/complete-rigs

From me it's safe!:)

Whether it's a formal escrow service offered by some of the larger dealers or rigging businesses or a third party acceptable to both, or you have VERY good personal references from somebody you know well, DON'T send money to seller and wait for rig.

I've been the middle man and have used one as seller. For example the buyer wanted to use Jim Crouch, her rigger and an employee at USPA as the middle man rigger. I know Jim personally so fine with me. He gets the rig and examines it, buyer and I make a deal, the buyer sends the money and when received and cleared I tell Jim to release the rig to buyer.

Make sure you agree who is paying inspection fee, usually buyer and includes a fresh repack because the reserve has to be opened to inspect for purchase, and who pays shipping each way if rig comes back.

There are folks on here that I have no issue buying from sight unseen. And if someone YOU KNOW PERSONALLY suggests that's okay then that might be fine. I've recommended some sellers to folks.

Also you don't know all of the questions to ask, past issues with gear, various performance variables.

For instance why does Eric have so many reserves in Poland?:P Because many European countries have mandatory service life (age limits) on gear while it may be fine for continued use.

Don't buy from the first instructor on your DZ who tells you 'I've got just the rig for you!'

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There's good advice in post #6. You can search "Rigger as Escrow" for more.

Short version: You and seller agree on a neutral third party to inspect and hold gear. After you get word that the gear is good, you send money. After money arrives, seller sends word to release the gear to you. As was noted, make sure both sides agree to who pays for inspection & shipping for completed sale and in case of failed inpection.

Many places will do the escrow part of the deal for low or no cost. They get paid for the inspection at standard rates. ChutingStar will do it for free (the escrow, not the inspection). Look on their website for a lot of good info on buying and escrow and such.

Keep in mind that:

It's a pretty small community. You don't say where you are, but here in the US, if you are at a larger DZ, there's a very good chance that someone at your DZ will know someone at the seller's DZ. Or even know the seller personally.

Most sellers understand why a buyer would be cautious. Personally, if I was selling something big, I wouldn't have any problem providing verification that I was who I claim to be.

Most scammers are pretty obvious. If you are reasonably careful, reasonably sensible, and use common sense, then you should be ok. Use common sense. Protect yourself. For example, if the seller says "Use Paypal, but send the money as a "Gift" to save the costs, then you might want to take a step back - "Gift" money can't be disputed/returned. If you are still uncertain, go through a known dealer. There are a bunch of them. Both big store type (ChutingStar, Square One, ect) and smaller folks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I'm in Winnipeg. I buy and sell in the classifieds and on the FB page regularly. No problems so far. Use PayPal and try to check if the seller has a track record. A lot of US sellers are not willing to go through the hassle of shipping to Canada. I use a US parcel service for that reason. Where in AB are you?

Fill in your profile. That's one way people can tell if you are legitimate.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

DiverMike

I have purchased all of my gear through DZ.COM and haven't been ripped off yet. It does happen, but I believe it to be rare.

I also have done well.. buying AND selling with the classifieds here.. but I am cautious.
When I was selling my last rig... I had someone wanting me to ship it to an unknown rigger and the DZO was not very forthcoming with information.. Sorry but I was getting the heebie jeebies on that one...

Luckily I found someone locally a couple months later and the DZO was very helpful getting the newish jumper into a great rig for a great price.

All was well and that ended well for all of us.

If the deal seems hinky in any way at all....... WALK AWAY FAST

OK the autocorrect thing here on DIZZY is starting to really PISS ME OFF

when I type AN.... I want to see an AN and not have it changed to AND>:(>:(>:(.

I have bought and sold through both the classified ads on here and through various facebook groups. I have only had one bad experience and oddly that was shipping it to a reputable DZ for inspection. The "buyer" basically used it as a rental rig for the weekend and then said they weren't interested and shipped it back. They even said it fit right and everything but they just decided they didn't want it. My advice would be if you plan to have it shipped to a rigger for inspection and everything as part of the deal, as long as the gear is exactly what was described and it's airworthy and fits, the deal is a done deal. Don't make someone jump through those hoops if you aren't certain you want it. It's not a demo.

I have shipped stuff to riggers for inspection and I have also shipped directly to someone after payment. I have bought without going through a third party and never been burned. I have also acted as a third party to inspect gear for a sale for someone else. For most of my used gear sales, more and more I'm offering it for sale without a third party inspection. I'm not going to burn my reputation on a bad used gear deal. I have a business on the line and no intention of screwing myself over for a used gear sale and the only time I have been burned was shipping to a DZ like I said.

Just make sure the person you are dealing with is known and if necessary call their home dz to check up on them. If the DZ will vouch for them or they are well known in the community for selling gear I think you'll be fine. You can also check the FAA database if they say they are a rigger. If they are in the database I personally feel like you can trust the gear from them without inspection. If you can't trust a rigger in this small community then we have a big problem.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I just got my a license two months ago and recently bought a rig off of dropzone. Seller was cool and I would definitely recommend it but you just have to ask the right questions to feel out if it's legitimate. And a phone conversation can put a lot of doubts at ease once you realize it's a fellow skydiver on the other end. Good luck!