nipp1e_boy

Covid19 - danger?

So want to get some advice from the brain trust. I'm about to get back in the air after a loooong hiatus. DZ website says mask required when within 6ft of others. So how are they doing RW? Mask under my fraphat? Or over? What if it blows over my goggles? Seems pretty unsafe or am I overthinking this? Rather take my chances catching it from the meeker.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

"Safety First! Fun Forever!"

not only are you over thinking it, maybe you're misunderstanding the science behind the 6 foot rule with masks.  covid spreads through the air, not contact (at least not very well).  if you are close to someone without a mask, the virus can easily spread up to 25 feet through a cough or sneeze and up to 15 feet from breathing.  the masks stop this from happening and keep the virus from going more than a few feet.  when everyone wears one, the virus doesn't get transmitted nearly as far, so six feet is the recommended distance.  in the air, everyone is falling at around 120 mph or so, and the virus is just mainly swept away.  of course there could be a few of them that get through, but since it isn't transmitted very well through contact it doesn't really matter that much.   

since i am not a virologist or medical professional, i defer to them for this type of advice.  i'm not sure if i qualify as part of any brain trust you want to rely on for anything serious, but i haven't had covid yet, so i must be doing something right.  also, get the vaccine and booster.  it may or may not stop the spread of covid (it doesn't on the new strains they say but did on the others) but it greatly reduces your chances of dying from it. 

British Skydiving brought in a medical advisor back at the start of this pandemic stuff to advise on the safe return to skydiving once our lockdown was lifted.

The advice was that face coverings are useful in the plane but as soon as the door was opened they could be removed. This served as both protecting the individuals but also the sport from Government intervention beyond the general rules and guidance.

As Government rules relaxed so did the skydiving guidance, as infectiins increased individual DZs introduced what they felt was required, ranging from nothing, through masks all the way to everyone taking a test before they could get in the plane.

10 hours ago, nipp1e_boy said:

DZ website says mask required when within 6ft of others.

We have been using light neck warmer buffs and pulling them up over our faces. Not the least bit effective, but makes a good show for the tandem customers.

10 hours ago, nipp1e_boy said:

So want to get some advice from the brain trust. I'm about to get back in the air after a loooong hiatus. DZ website says mask required when within 6ft of others. So how are they doing RW? Mask under my fraphat? Or over? What if it blows over my goggles? Seems pretty unsafe or am I overthinking this? Rather take my chances catching it from the meeker.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

Response to the nipply one:

Your first jump will be a recurrency. To make sure that you obey your jumpmasters, you'll be required to wear eye shades along with the face mask. The instructors will pull off the eye shades when they deploy you.

With a frap hat, the options are endless. I'd go with the standard little blue face shield, and just let freefall blow it off. Then you can wait for it to land and re-use it again. Make sure you weight it appropriately -- you do want it to come back down on the airport, after all. There's a whole new sport of mask accuracy, with people building special accuracy masks, studying the wind currents in detail, and adjusting the mask weight based on the exit altitude and direction.

Wendy P.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

not only are you over thinking it, maybe you're misunderstanding the science behind the 6 foot rule with masks. 

Thanks - I think I get it now. I am very safety conscious and believe in the science 100%. Will be a much larger circle at the safety meeting for sure I imagine. Will have to walk over to pass - no big whup.

Nipple Boy
A-19820

12 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Your first jump will be a recurrency

I have a D license. Don't think I need a recurrency. Have had many breaks in jumping been just fine. Did have a few fun times giving the instructor a heart attack by exiting on "Door" hehe... maybe time for that old game again. What DZ do you jump at?

Nipple Boy
A-19820

On 1/4/2022 at 5:14 AM, nipp1e_boy said:

Nipple Boy
A-19820

Wear your mask over your fraphat and tie it at the back using a rubber band. Once you enter freefall the mask will either hold for the entire jump, or blow off alltogether.

If you want to play it safe, I'd plan for the second eventuality. I therefore advise doing only backins and compressed accordeons. That way your buddy is breathing away from you, or at least as far away from your face as possible.

8 hours ago, nipp1e_boy said:

I have a D license. Don't think I need a recurrency. Have had many breaks in jumping been just fine. Did have a few fun times giving the instructor a heart attack by exiting on "Door" hehe... maybe time for that old game again. What DZ do you jump at?

Nipple Boy
A-19820

About 10 years ago, an old skydiving acquaintance of mine decided to make a jump. It’d been over 30 years, so he did decide to do a recurrence jump. He’d been a notorious low puller in the 60’s and 70’s — I really thought he’d bounced at a boogie once when he went behind the trees. That time even he got scared he said. 
Anyway, during the recurrency session, when the instructor told him to pull at 5500’, he said he looked at the guy, and the guy looked back just normally — so Fritz said “wait — you’re serious?

He said there was no amusement in the reply. But plenty at the old farts’ reunion where it was recounted. 
Either way, it’s great to have people back in. 
Wendy P. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, nipp1e_boy said:

Nipple Boy
A-19820

"AAAAANNNNDDDD, He's BAAAACK!!!!"
Long time, no see Nipple Boy.   
Hope you've healed up well.

Blue and Black ones,

JW

Edited by fcajump

12 hours ago, fcajump said:

"AAAAANNNNDDDD, He's BAAAACK!!!!"
Long time, no see Nipple Boy.   
Hope you've healed up well.

Thanks been doing OK. Healing up fine not skydiving related (never been hurt - very safety conscious), just a minor slip up with some New Years fireworks. How did you know I was injured?

Nipple Boy
A-19820

On 1/4/2022 at 10:56 PM, nipp1e_boy said:

Nipple Boy
A-19820

Are you saying that D license holders are exempt from recurrency requirements???  Asking for a friend.