Marc K

Which dropzone has the best weather (on average)?

13 hours ago, Marc K said:

Hi There:)

I was wondering which dropzones might have the best weather (on average)...Arizona, Cali, Barcelona? Appreciate any tips:)

Thank you & blue skies,
Marc

Hi there, too. Depends on your pleasure, really. Do you consider dust devils, high humidity, and sub VFR cloud clearances weather?

We have been visiting Skydive Spain (Seville) regularly the last 1,5 year and they seem to have jumpable weather all year round. No issue with dust devils in summer, but you do get general turbulence making jumping a thing from 7:00 (1st load) to around 14:00 or so on those days, and a few sunset loads if enough people hang around. But September up to around May, the dropzone runs pretty much non stop all day long, and 15.000 ft standard jump altitude (2x Dornier), from 9:00 to sunset.

Heading there again next week, February as well as April. It's perfect for EU 'winter' jumping, at a comfy 16 to 18 celcius, even on the colder days...

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, mccordia said:

We have been visiting Skydive Spain (Seville) regularly the last 1,5 year and they seem to have jumpable weather all year round. No issue with dust devils in summer, but you do get general turbulence making jumping a thing from 7:00 (1st load) to around 14:00 or so on those days, and a few sunset loads if enough people hang around. But September up to around May, the dropzone runs pretty much non stop all day long, and 15.000 ft standard jump altitude (2x Dornier), from 9:00 to sunset.

Heading there again next week, February as well as April. It's perfect for EU 'winter' jumping, at a comfy 16 to 18 celcius, even on the colder days...

The only issues I have ever had with Seville are (1) they put up a 100/200/500 jump limit fairly sharply which, at times, can limit the jumps for less experienced jumpers  (2) the shortened jumping day in mid-summer as you have stated already (3) the concrete hard/sloping landing area. There are plenty of off landing areas, though - especially important when you are last out on a 4 way freefly and the pilot will only do one pass lol. Having said that, I give it 8/10.

• Like 1

The only issues I have ever had with Seville are (1) they put up a 100/200/500 jump limit fairly sharply which, at times, can limit the jumps for less experienced jumpers  

A dropzone making correct safety decisions in terms of wind/weather conditions is in my view never a bad thing. Having been at some dropzones where I (at +- 6000 skydives) skipped loads due to weather conditions on landing, and then seeing guys with 51 jumps go up because 'the limit is 50 jumps', it can at times feel like a jump-limit was set with DZ income in mind, as opposed to safety.

In the 6 or so weeks I've spent at the dropzone over 2021, I've seen the DZ limit jumping at 50/100/500 jumps, but in almost 100% of those, I had already taken myself of the load. There, at lower jump numbers, its sometimes worth trusting the judgement of people with more experience and eye for local conditions.

The landing area is indeed not the lush patch of grass you see on other dropzones, for a large part caused by the all year round warm to hot weather.

Summer season (June to August) we also avoid, as it just gets too hot. Though jumping from early to mid-day, and then chilling at the pool of your hotel, is never a bad thing.

My main gripe with the surrounding area is not too much to do (sea/beach is an hour away) in the direct area surrounding the DZ, but enough good restaurants to not stress about that too much, as in the end, we're there to jump ;)

• Like 3

On 1/1/2022 at 3:16 AM, Marc K said:

I was wondering which dropzones might have the best weather (on average)...Arizona, Cali, Barcelona? Appreciate any tips:)

San Diego/Otay is pretty dang good.  No 110F days in the summer, no 40F morning loads in the winter.  Dust devils a super rare event.  Sea level.  (Almost) no rain and (almost) no clouds, other than morning clouds in May and June.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:16 AM, Marc K said:

Thank you & blue skies,
Marc

Hi Marc,

Since you included Spain, I would guess that anywhere in the world meets your criteria.  Therefore, if it was me, I would give serious consideration to:  Skydive Ramblers | Skydiving Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Lots of good weather days there,

Jerry Baumchen

13 hours ago, billvon said:

San Diego/Otay is pretty dang good.  No 110F days in the summer, no 40F morning loads in the winter.  Dust devils a super rare event.  Sea level.  (Almost) no rain and (almost) no clouds, other than morning clouds in May and June.

That's a fact. I ran Otters and Caravans at Otay for years and the load sheets tell that exact story. Also, the wind direction is very consistent. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bokdrol said:

The only issues I have ever had with Seville are (1) they put up a 100/200/500 jump limit fairly sharply which, at times, can limit the jumps for less experienced jumpers  (2) the shortened jumping day in mid-summer as you have stated already (3) the concrete hard/sloping landing area. There are plenty of off landing areas, though - especially important when you are last out on a 4 way freefly and the pilot will only do one pass lol. Having said that, I give it 8/10.

Skydive Spain is predominantly frequented by British and Indian jumpers (two nationalities that are known to put up with hardship and are not known for complaining).  I visited after hearing "good things" but was quite unimpressed; I would NOT give it a recommendation or good feedback.

They've got some nice airplanes, some air and a credit card machine - not much else.  No areas to sit and chill, damn near no shade covering (even though they are in Southern Spain) and the DZ management gives off the vibe that no one is really in charge.

If you are either a 1) first time jumper, 2) have only jumped at Skydive Spain or 3) a professional/sponsored Skydive Spain jumper you may a differing viewpoint.  If you've seen good dropzones before, don't expect much.

Edited by RMK
  • Like 1

For the US during the winter months, I'd second the recommendations of 

• Perris and/or Elsinore on West Coast and:
  • Zephyrhills on East Coast

I love Zephyrhills; that's such a pleasant/fun place to jump.  Other DZ's should take note.

On 1/7/2022 at 4:27 AM, JoeWeber said:

That's a fact. I ran Otters and Caravans at Otay for years and the load sheets tell that exact story. Also, the wind direction is very consistent

and you typically get to WS from West to East over a pretty lake.

Occasionally the marine layer reaches as far as Otay june & july and delays first load.

I like consistent winds

On 11/11/2022 at 10:26 AM, RMK said:

>If you are either a 1) first time jumper, 2) have only jumped at Skydive Spain or 3) a
>professional/sponsored Skydive Spain jumper you may a differing viewpoint.

Though flying a suit with the DZ logo assisting in DZ promotion, I have a good 400+ jumps at the DZ paid from my own pocket, for training, funjumps and events I organized. Though in other parts of the world, there might be plenty better options, but if looking for a place to jump in Europe in winter, you options are incredibly limited. With 15.000 ft as a standard drop altitude, multiple fast twin turbine airplanes, it's definitely one of the better (if not only) real choice in Europe for fall/winter.

Arizona, Elsinore and many USA dropzones trump SS in facilities, lift capacity and more.
The only reason I mentioned the dropzone, is as Ive been there a lot, and feedback on EU dropzones tends to be limited.

nice airplanes, some air 

These tend to be my primary focal points when looking at places to coach/train. Champagne and a lounge area are nice perks, but not always the main reason I visit a DZ ;)

Edited by mccordia
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 5:34 AM, RMK said:

For the US during the winter months, I'd second the recommendations of 

• Perris and/or Elsinore on West Coast and:
  • Zephyrhills on East Coast

I love Zephyrhills; that's such a pleasant/fun place to jump.  Other DZ's should take note.

Taft claims to have the most jumpable days a year. When we lived in LA it was the more fun DZ to be at.