1 1
airdvr

Don't Look Up

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Watched it last night.  Lots of fun.

I thought it a great and accurate parody of the Trump administration and Fox News.

A friend was telling me about it. I don't currently subscribe to Netflix, but I am tempted to re-subscribe just to see this.

Funny thing is the project was announced in November 2019, months before anyone knew a pandemic was coming. But filming began in November 2020. I think the script was heavily rewritten over that period to reflect current events.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

I thought it a great and accurate parody of the Trump administration and Fox News.

Hi John,

Over the course of my life I have considered many things.  There are quite a few that I hope to never experience.

Just think of Trump as POTUS when a big rock is coming at us.

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Agreed. The only unrealistic bit was the guy in the crowd who suddenly twigged that they were lying to him. Most people this satirises are not that self aware.

• Like 2

I watched it yesterday. I've seen films that slipped a final scene in after the credit roll, but I've never seen one do a credit roll, another scene, a longer credit roll, then one more scene. I wonder how many people missed one or both of those.

9 hours ago, ryoder said:

but I've never seen one do a credit roll, another scene, a longer credit roll, then one more scene. I wonder how many people missed one or both of those.

I watched it Saturday night and turned it off when the credits started rolling. Went to lunch with another couple the next day and they were telling us about these additional scenes we'd missed. By then we'd heard enough not to go back and scroll to the end end. Or, end, end, end. 

12 hours ago, ryoder said:

I watched it yesterday. I've seen films that slipped a final scene in after the credit roll, but I've never seen one do a credit roll, another scene, a longer credit roll, then one more scene. I wonder how many people missed one or both of those.

I'll have to go back and check that out.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I watched it Saturday night and turned it off when the credits started rolling. Went to lunch with another couple the next day and they were telling us about these additional scenes we'd missed. By then we'd heard enough not to go back and scroll to the end end. Or, end, end, end. 

Ever since "Wild Things"(1998) I learned not to assume the film was over when the credits begin to roll. Especially when streaming it and seeing the progress bar is indicating 10 minutes remaining.

25 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Especially when streaming it and seeing the progress bar is indicating 10 minutes remaining.

I'm kinda laughing at myself cause I did see that, but I thought it was just another 10 minutes of Netflix - you need to watch these on Netflix promos.  

13 hours ago, ryoder said:

I watched it yesterday. I've seen films that slipped a final scene in after the credit roll, but I've never seen one do a credit roll, another scene, a longer credit roll, then one more scene.

Marvel has been doing that a lot lately, which is why I tend to watch to the end now.

(edited)
4 hours ago, ryoder said:

Ever since "Wild Things"(1998) I learned not to assume the film was over when the credits begin to roll.

The first one I remember was in Ferris Bueller, tho it didn't really add to the story.

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

Especially when streaming it and seeing the progress bar is indicating 10 minutes remaining.

Yep, that's when I scrubbed through and saw the extra scenes.

I also figured they'd eventually explain what a bronteroc was, but I totally forgot about it by the end of the movie.

Edited by Coreece

From the Right Wing echo chamber of the Rolling Stone 

Somewhere out there, someone may be crafting the ultimate Swiftian skewering of our cultural death-spiral moment — but Don’t Look Up is most certainly not that. So caught up in its own hysterical shrieking that it drowns out any laughs, or sense of poignancy, or points it might be trying to make, McKay’s screed imagines the response that would greet such dire news circa right now…

Don’t Look Up is a blunt instrument in lieu of a sharp razor, and while McKay may believe that we’re long past subtlety, it doesn’t mean that one man’s wake-up-sheeple howl into the abyss is funny, or insightful, or even watchable. It’s a disaster movie in more ways than one. Should you indeed look up, you may be surprised to find one A-list bomb of a movie, all inchoate rage and flailing limbs, falling right on top of you.

(edited)

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Don’t Look Up is a blunt instrument in lieu of a sharp razor, and while McKay may believe that we’re long past subtlety, it doesn’t mean that one man’s wake-up-sheeple howl into the abyss is funny, or insightful, or even watchable. It’s a disaster movie in more ways than one. Should you indeed look up, you may be surprised to find one A-list bomb of a movie, all inchoate rage and flailing limbs, falling right on top of you.

I still think it was "lots of fun." There's just so many ways to interpret everything that's going on.  I thought it captured the hysteria on both sides very well considering that both attempts to divert the comet would've been doomed given only the 6 month window.

So from that angle, it makes sense not to look up; and what the scientists were doing at the end of the movie is exactly what they should've been doing the whole time. Spending it in good company and praying with the foul mouthed evangelical who is quite frankly the hero of the movie.  He pretty much kept his cool the whole time and got to score with Jennifer Lawrence's character - an auburn haired scientist from MSU.

I too am a foul-mouthed evangelical that got to score with a Jennifer with auburn hair from MSU, but she was a law student and probably better depicted as the fiery red comet that destroyed my world. . .:p

. . .and I'm not as cool as Timothee Chalamet.

Edited by Coreece