FlyingRhenquest

G3 Visor Fogging?

It's getting colder and the past 3-4 jumps, my Cookie G3 visor has been fogging up. Is there a particularly effective cure for that? If it's doing this at the end of October, I hate to think what it's going to be like in the winter months.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I would clean the inside of the visor then dab a small amount of shaving cream and polish it in with a SOFT cloth.
Also try to tighten the helmet so as to place your mouth as close to the vent as possible and exhale through your mouth.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

FlyingRhenquest

It's getting colder and the past 3-4 jumps, my Cookie G3 visor has been fogging up. Is there a particularly effective cure for that? If it's doing this at the end of October, I hate to think what it's going to be like in the winter months.

Mine fogs badly too. Far more than my old OXYGN did. I use a commercial anti-fogging solution that keeps it clear during freefall.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

When I purchased my G 3 it came with a soft attachment device that (I think) goes under your nose and blocks the exhaled breath from your mouth from going up to the upper portion of the faceplate you see out of? I've never tried it.
If someone has; does it work?

Maybe I'll dig it out of my bag and try it someday.

Cat crap is amazing and works, so does using the mouthpiece padding that comes with the G3 that best fits your face (if you're a mouth breather!)
500 jumps later, if you put your helmet on the ground all the time and accidentally close the helmet strap in the helmet every single day, hinges loosen up and leave a <1cm gap at the bottom, letting in just enough air to prevent the fogging.

FlyingRhenquest

1. Don't close your visor until you are about to climb out.
2. Open your visor once under canopy.

That should solve your problem. However if at any point you put water on your visor and wiped it off while wet you ruined the factory anti-fog coating and need to add an after market one. Never wipe out wet visors/goggles. If you have the GoPro mount that attaches to the vents it can also cause fogging. You can also try the Factory helmet piece that separates your mouth from the visor.

Hi Bruce, We had a pretty good set of information about fogging last year in Gear and Rigging: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4689959;page=unread#unread

About half-dozen posts down I provide a description of what I do based on another manufactures instructions. However, I treat the G3s the same and everyone has had good luck with it..

Well - besides the fact that some helmets will almost always fog when you get the magic temp, humidity, skydiver, head size and helmet fit....

edited for typo(s)..

Once the plane takes off, you're gonna have to land - Might as well jump out!!

dpreguy

Does the factory thing to separate your mouth exhalations from the upper part of the helmet actually work?

I reckon I'll give that a try first and if it doesn't, I'll try a commercial anti-fog solution. Ultimate worst case scenario is whatever I pick delaminates the visor and I have to buy a new one, but I'm reasonably sure that won't happen.

Maybe the mouth thingy will do the trick.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I have a G3 and mine did the same thing at first. I have the extra piece in that covers the mouth vents. It keeps my face warmer in the colder months but does seem to fog my lens after i open under canopy. I used some rain-X brand anti fog on the inside and it did help, but it still will fog a little I just open my shield after i open and let some air in. That's just what works for me. Good luck!

JWest

However if at any point you put water on your visor and wiped it off while wet you ruined the factory anti-fog coating and need to add an after market one.

I didn't know that. I've washed my visor a few times with soap and water but always let it air dry. I think it's still okay.

I learned something about snorkel masks the other day. They DO need to be scrubbed quite well before use or they will fog up. I had a brand new mask that fogged constantly. Salesman told me to scrub the factory "oils" off of it.

I put on the attachment that comes with the G3 today and made a jump with it. Comfortable, but it wasn't really cold enough to call it a test. It's designed to block the visor off below your nose. (could be tighter) I think it would require exhaling through your mouth to work. Which, now that I think of it, is pretty natural when exerting. When it gets colder, I'll use it and see.

JohnMitchell

However if at any point you put water on your visor and wiped it off while wet you ruined the factory anti-fog coating and need to add an after market one.

I didn't know that. I've washed my visor a few times with soap and water but always let it air dry. I think it's still okay.

I learned something about snorkel masks the other day. They DO need to be scrubbed quite well before use or they will fog up. I had a brand new mask that fogged constantly. Salesman told me to scrub the factory "oils" off of it.

As long as you let it air dry you should be good. It is always terrible to watch someone wipe water out of their new $250 ski goggles. Those are the most sensitive to it. Yes, I learned that the hard way. Luckily I was able to exchange them.

JWest

. It is always terrible to watch someone wipe water out of their new $250 ski goggles. Those are the most sensitive to it. Yes, I learned that the hard way. Luckily I was able to exchange them.

$250 ski googles?!? :S

Damn, I've been out of that sport for 30 years. It sure has gotten spendy while I was gone. :D

JohnMitchell

***. It is always terrible to watch someone wipe water out of their new $250 ski goggles. Those are the most sensitive to it. Yes, I learned that the hard way. Luckily I was able to exchange them.

$250 ski googles?!? :S

Damn, I've been out of that sport for 30 years. It sure has gotten spendy while I was gone. :D

$250 is top notch. The electric goggles are $400+ It's about $180 average, for a good pair of goggles. When I go out backcountry I bring three pairs because if they get wet it's game over. One pair of awesome ones $220, then two pairs of "shitty" $80 goggles. I agree it sucks.

I tried to look up what type of coating G3 used on their visors to no avail. I assumed it's something similar and don't want to find out the hard way. I won't wipe out condensation or any wetness. Will use a hand dryer to dry my lenses if it's available. Once the lens is dry use a shammy cloth. Many googles come in a bag designed to clean the lens. If not there is anti-fog coating safe cleaner available to purchase.

thecalm

Has anyone ever thought of symmetrically drilling straw sized holes on the visor itself on some place? I don't see why this wouldn't be a viable solution.

I tried it on my old visor back in the spring. It worked. Haven't got around to it yet on my new visor.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.