Nowjamessays

Significant others

DiverMike

You could always wait until you already have a ridiculous amount of time and money on your hands and then it won't be a problem.

I am only half kidding.

Because you're going to end up giving her half, anyway. (if you're married, that is) :S
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Nowjamessays

How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

License that eye laser beam technology to the military and use the profits to clone yourself. Problem solved.

Seriously though, has she jumped or would she? As others have said, if a spouse is as passionate as you about skydiving it usually solves the problem. Option two is to encourage her to find a weekend passion too. I spend a lot more time jumping than my wife does, but she took up long distance running and spends most weekends training and hanging out with her running friends.

Option three - create a positive response scenario. Every time you spend a day at the DZ, spend a day or evening doing something she loves. Then instead of hating you going jumping, she'll look forward to the payback.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

JohnMitchell

***How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

Never give in to "It's skydiving or me!" You'll live to regret it. Are you married or just "in a relationship"?

I REALLY dont get this type of question, My wife has never questioned the things that make me happy. Nor I her.
If you're not spending monies allocated to other priorities then it should be of no concern to anyone.
Are you spending HER money?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nowjamessays

How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

My ex-wife just spent equal ridiculous amounts of money on her own pursuits. Then we were cool. Broke, but cool.

Nowjamessays

I see that you're in Killeen so maybe you could get her a Xmas present hour at Ifly Austin to be split with the family. If splitting an hour doesn't get her at least a little interested in bodyflight, then you're looking at a hard no for sharing a hobby.

There's plenty of peeps at your dropzone that could help line you up with a coach and smarter ways to purchase. If she likes it there's a ladies night once a month which is a really cool, very affordable huck jam to look forward too.

Also there's a certain stigma non-skydivers think about a dropzone. You should address that as well.

That worked for us. My wife has done every ground bound job at DZ's since we started dating. Manifest, packing, mowed grass, cleaned, cooked, wash airplanes, snacks and lunch for many boogies and big ways, catered skydiver weddings at the dz, worked at Quincey and other major boogies. The list goes on and on.
We have been out of the skydiving business since 2002 but still have jump days at our airport a few time a year. She always has a feast waiting for us at the end of the day.

We celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in January 2016. I have been blessed with a very supporting wife.

To the OP, Get her involved, I'm sure she can find her place at the DZ. Remember family first, don't be at the DZ all the time.

I was going to be all smug about my guy being OK with skydiving because he has his own expensive and time-consuming hobby (collecting and racing vintage cars), but he just objected to me going to a Thanksgiving boogie (assuming I get my A this weekend) because I'll be skydiving or out of town for my birthday and other holidays.

I really thought he'd be okay with it since we spend all our holidays together doing separate things anyway. We'll see, I guess.

If you're married and have kids, I can't imagine how to balance them unless you're both skydivers.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

JohnMitchell

***My wife and I have been together for 32 years and married for 25. She made her 4000th jump a couple weeks ago. When I started skydiving, my girlfriend at the time said "it's me or skydiving" Still skydiving after 42 years.

:D:D That's the way to do it. I married a jumper too. :)
Sure that works for some, but the reality is more men skydive than woman. It seems like 80/20 or 90/10. So while every woman who skydives can find a guy at the DZ the other way isn't true. Many will be in the OPs situation.

And for me, I don't exclusively skydive. I like doing lots of other things too. This weekend I was swimming in the SF Bay, and two weekends ago camping in the back country.

Nowjamessays

I asked earlier but got no reply.
Whose money are you spending?
Yours?
Hers?
Money for other things?

If it's your money why is she annoyed?

My SO is a non skydiver and we don't have these issues never really have. I jump pretty regularly, and travel a bit to do it.
But it's not ALL i do.
We have joint activities that we do, and she has her own interests.

How ever I may just have more disposable income for jumping than many other skydivers, because I dont drink booze or do drugs. Therefore ALL my recreational monies are spent recreationally on things like Skydiving, old motorbikes, rock climbing and travel.

My life is pretty freaking awesome :D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

In a regular month, how much time are you spending on skydiving on the weekends and how much time are you with your wife and kids?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Squeak

***How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

Yours?
Hers?
Money for other things?

You addressed the money component, but not the time component. A whuffo spouse/girlfriend wants you to spend some weekend time with THEM, not at the drop zone.

PorkyPorcellus

******How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

Yours?
Hers?
Money for other things?

You addressed the money component, but not the time component. A whuffo spouse/girlfriend wants you to spend some weekend time with THEM, not at the drop zone.

Squeak already mentioned they have joint interests.

Virtually living at a dz and becoming totally absorbed in the " lifestyle" isn't necessarily a healthy life choice. No problem going out to the dz a couple of days a month.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

DiverMike

She was used to the LUDICROUS amount of money I spent on airplanes,

+1

I was wondering when an airplane owner was going to put things in perspective.

At one time, I had 5 airplanes and my wife had 2. It is a little more reasonable now, I have 3 airplanes and 1 helicopter and my wife has 1 airplane. I also own an airport so storage isn't a problem. If you like airplanes and skydiving, being a DZO is a pretty good gig.

Trust me no wuffo gf/wife will be ok with it unless you spend same amount on her like others have said here. I once made the mistake to choose a girl above skydiving and promised myself i will never do it again. After that when i met a girl i would told her straight away what my passion is and that will not change. So then few years back i met this awesome woman who promised me she will not take my skydiving from me, (ya right thats what they all say in the beginning). So the one weekend i took her with to the dz and she did not do one but two tandems. The next time she came along again and did her 1st jump course. I didnt thought that she would carry on skydiving and was just doing it to impress me. Well i was so wrong, she's already planning on what rig she's is gonna buy when her current rig expires in 8 years. We are at the stage that she is the one complaining we dont skydive enough and we should be jumping more often. I could not have asked for a better wife(yes i did marry her) and skydiving partner.

So to get back to your question, get a wife/girlfriend that is just as passionate or even more about skydiving than what you are.