Nowjamessays

Significant others

Nowjamessays

How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

You don't. Why should she be okay with it? Eventually you will have to compromise, or not.........
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Nowjamessays

How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

I don't have good news for you.

I was in college and had 36 jumps under my belt when my fiancee asked me to stop skydiving. I didn't like it but kept my word, so while we were married I didn't skydive. But I often looked up at the sky and wished I could be there. Eventually we got divorced so I decided to start skydiving again. No regrets there.

I'm now very happy skydiving and doing many other things. If I'm luck enough to find a "significant other", letting me skydive or just be more in aligned with my active life is a requirement. I've not had much luck so far. So if YOU happen to find someone one that lets you skydive they are a keeper for sure.

Start going to the tunnel a whole bunch and she will think skydiving is affordable.

In my case I made a lot more money the last couple of years and tried to use various arguments like ... well if I made $X - cost of skydiving = $Y and didn't jump would you be happy with me? So what's the difference? YOLO. I'm old, the men die young in my family from natural causes. I earn the money.

Now if I cut out tunnel and travel, it's not too bad in my book $5K-$8K per year is 200-300 jumps and repacks. I can't hardly take my wife and kids anywhere for a week being reasonably frugal for that amount.

Now time is the other one. Still figuring out to deal with that one.

At first my husband was worried that I was going to die, he lightened up a bit when I discovered I had cancer.. Life is too short not to have fun.

Perhaps you can reassure her that you will always be sure to provide for the family. Knowing that you will spend to the family's detriment may help.

I work FT, and I am debt averse, which helps.
Skydiver Survivor; Battling Breast Cancer one jump at a time. DX June 19th 2014
I have been jumping since October 5th 2013.
https://pinkribbonskydiver.wordpress.com/

Perhaps not spending a "ridiculous" amount of time and money would be a good thing for you also. This could mean just a nudge toward moderation. It is easy to think when you start jumping that it is all you want to do with all your free time.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Nowjamessays

Never give in to "It's skydiving or me!" You'll live to regret it. Are you married or just "in a relationship"?

sundevil777

Perhaps not spending a "ridiculous" amount of time and money would be a good thing for you also. This could mean just a nudge toward moderation. It is easy to think when you start jumping that it is all you want to do with all your free time.

You probably hit the nail on the head

JohnMitchell

***How did you get them to the point where they're okay with you spending a ridiculous amount of time and money on this sport? Mine shoots laser beams out of her eyes anytime I mention it

Never give in to "It's skydiving or me!" You'll live to regret it. Are you married or just "in a relationship"?

Married almost 10 years with a couple kids. It would never come down to an ultimatum like that

As long as its only an SO cut away. She uses the time and money thing but in reality she's probably scared.

My current wife and I were discussing the problems my first wife and I had with skydiving. I didn't realize at the time that she was also fearful. She either couldn't express it well enough or I didn't hear her. I'd like to apologize to her but sadly she died five years ago.

My second wife was all into it until our good friend bounced on a demo we were working. Kinda took the fun out of it for me as well.

I've learned over the years that jumping is an individual sport and very difficult to share with your non-jumping wife/SO. How did we fix that problem? We bought a boat we can both enjoy.

YMMV. Good luck. Most importantly...don't take advice from someone on their third marriage.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

As long as its only an SO cut away. She uses the time and money thing but in reality she's probably scared.

My current wife and I were discussing the problems my first wife and I had with skydiving. I didn't realize at the time that she was also fearful. She either couldn't express it well enough or I didn't hear her. I'd like to apologize to her but sadly she died five years ago.

My second wife was all into it until our good friend bounced on a demo we were working. Kinda took the fun out of it for me as well.

I've learned over the years that jumping is an individual sport and very difficult to share with your non-jumping wife/SO. How did we fix that problem? We bought a boat we can both enjoy.

YMMV. Good luck. Most importantly...don't take advice from someone on their third marriage.

That's definitely part of it. I don't understand it though. She wasn't scared when I was jumping military static line from under 1000 ft in a mass exit. I don't think I've done a jump without at least one person getting injured. Skydiving is relatively safe in comparison

What's the the real issue, for HER?
Is it time? Maybe she should have other interests, maybe you two should be realistic about your time commitments to each other (and then stick to that or reconfigure).

Is it $ because you share $? Then set up a fun $ acct and split it evenly. I've seen that one with several couples and it works great.

Is it saftey concerns? Listen and educate, and introduce her to other skydivers who can do the same. Also do the responsible things and have health and life insurance to assure her that you have planned for the worst, and then offer to explain how you plan to avoid the worst.

Do you talk about it too much and she doesent get it? Maybe she would understand your excitement if you could explain to her what is exciting in non-skydiver language. Anyone can support someone working hard to learn something and then being successful... if they understand!