Danh124

After a hard opening?

So I did something dumb the other day, rushed a pack job to try and get to the video debrief and ready for our next jump whilst doing some 4 way fs training.
Next jump was uneventful until I threw my PC out then WHAM! Open.
It was pretty bloody hard! No damage to the main and passed controllability checks fine so I landed her safely. Good tiptoe landing with no noticeable difference in the performance of the canopy.
It was hard enough to strain the muscles in my neck and I still have a sore back. I am wondering about what I should do gear wise after this opening.
I have currently done a full check on the main including top and bottom skin, inside the cells, lines and line attachment points.
Inspected the harness and risers. No damage at all is noticeable.
Is there something else I should do?
Thanks guys and girls.
Ps remember to quarter your sliders. It's stupid, painful and dangerous to rush.
The sky is not the limit, the ground is!

how did your stows look after the hard opening? Were lots of them broken? Even if not, it can't hurt to replace them all.

If you have serious doubts as to the airworthiness of your gear, look it over together with a rigger. They know how to look to find faults which may not be noticable to you and me.

I am sorry to say but your gear is not airworthy any more!

You can send it to me I will use it for scientific experiment, how many jumps your gear can can make after this horrific event. :P

On the serious side, usually (if your line set good condition) hard openings tend to damage (rip) canopy fabric. Check material near cell seams and near tail. Check port holes also. If ripstop mesh is not deformed anywhere, you are ok to continue jumping.

Even paying attention to the slider, I still get a hard one from time to time. I've had a couple of openings on a couple of different canopies that were so hard they made me see stars. Maybe check the cells to make sure there's no internal tearing in addition to the other checks you're doing.

Maybe get yourself checked for whiplash if you're still feeling it a few days later. I suspect we get whiplash more than we realize, just most of us don't bother to get checked after something like that.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?