1 1
jclalor

I’ve always wanted to be an X-pat...

On 12/23/2021 at 3:04 PM, jclalor said:

Any geographical suggestions?

You need to answer a few questions first (I don't need the answers, but you do).

What languages do you speak? 
English only is going to limit you.
Spanish opens up a lot of places.

What sort of climate do you want?
Warm all the time?
Hot?
Cold sometimes?
I live in Wisconsin. It really sucks sometimes, but the change of seasons makes it worth it.
I'm not sure how well I'd tolerate, say, Southern California.
I know I wouldn't tolerate Florida or Arizona well.

What kind of 'critters' can you tolerate?
Jerry suggested Australia. 
It's a really nice place, but the critters are pretty impressive (not in a good way). Spiders the size of dinner plates. The world's 10 most deadly snakes (yes, all 10 of the 'top 10').

What kind of politics can you tolerate?
How much corruption?
There are lots of places with nice climate, low cost of living, otherwise quite nice, but corrupt as hell. The 'elite' do what they want, own the cops and the 'little people' have to just take it. 
As much as we bitch here in the US, we've actually got it better than most places (for now, anyway -Off to SC with that). 

What are your job prospects?
I remember you're in health care (not exactly sure, nurse of some level?).
That's a skill that is useful most everywhere, but valued differently in different places.

Many of the 'more civilized' places are pretty strict on emigration (permanent resident).

There are more questions like these, but this is what I could think of.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Having been an expat as a child, I approve Joe’s post. Consider also if you want an American colony or not, and if so, what kind. Depending on your age, the quality and a availability of medical care can also matter. 

Also water quality matters, as it impacts food in general, like eating salad without soaking it. 
Wendy P. 

Down to the Banana Republics
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated American
Hopin' to find some fun
Some of them go for the sailing
Brought by the lure of the sea
Tryin' to find what is ailing
Living in the land of the free
Some of them are running to lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganja
Some are running from the IRS

On 12/28/2021 at 8:38 AM, wolfriverjoe said:

I remember you're in health care (not exactly sure, nurse of some level?).
That's a skill that is useful most everywhere, but valued differently in different places.

One thing I'll add to that is to check to see if your certifications will transfer and/or what hoops you'd have to jump thru and their costs. 

On 12/24/2021 at 12:04 AM, jclalor said:

Any geographical suggestions?

Just coming off of a week in Antalya, Turkey. A month ago I’d never heard of the place but now it’s on my list of places to consider retiring to. 

On 1/24/2022 at 1:25 AM, lippy said:

Just coming off of a week in Antalya, Turkey. A month ago I’d never heard of the place but now it’s on my list of places to consider retiring to. 

Not what I would call the most stable region in the world... beautiful I'm sure. 

How about the Azores? They say the weather is "special". And hello, island life! 

6 hours ago, timski said:

Not what I would call the most stable region in the world... beautiful I'm sure. 

How about the Azores? They say the weather is "special". And hello, island life! 

The south where I was working struck me as very westernized and I did meet several Ex-pats there.  I think I would have disagreed with your comment on stability much more before yesterday, seeing several fist fights and protests break out in Istanbul airport after we were stuck there for 30+ hours...TBF though, it wasn't Turkish people leading the protests or starting the fights.  

On 1/24/2022 at 1:25 AM, lippy said:

I spent three years in Turkey, so I see where you're going with that.  Kas is just a short (yet winding) drive west along the coast -- great diving, sleepy seaside town.  However, as having worked with the government there -- it was difficult then, and is much worse now.  You're going to have issues with internet and having your communications monitored. On the other hand, those coastal Mediterranean areas of Turkey are absolutely enticing!  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Might I recommend the South Pacific?  Especially some of those small island nations that have direct flights to at least two developed nations (like Japan, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia).  Consider Guam, Micronesia, Samoa -- all US territories or protectorates if you want something familiar.  Philippines is popular -- your retirement dollars go far there.  I also hear great things about Cook Islands.

Edited by TriGirl
adding another good option

15 hours ago, TriGirl said:

I spent three years in Turkey, so I see where you're going with that.  Kas is just a short (yet winding) drive west along the coast -- great diving, sleepy seaside town.  However, as having worked with the government there -- it was difficult then, and is much worse now.  You're going to have issues with internet and having your communications monitored. On the other hand, those coastal Mediterranean areas of Turkey are absolutely enticing!  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Might I recommend the South Pacific?  Especially some of those small island nations that have direct flights to at least two developed nations (like Japan, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia).  Consider Guam, Micronesia, Samoa -- all US territories or protectorates if you want something familiar.  Philippines is popular -- your retirement dollars go far there.  I also hear great things about Cook Islands.

From what I've read of your posts, I'd take your advice on just about anything related to international conditions.  Unfortunately I've got a ways to go before I can consider any of those options :(