Phil1111

Christians at Work for the Public Good

20 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Guess it would have been best for Phil to include [ON TOPIC] in the thread title.

Yeah, good luck with that. But in the spirit of it I can say that my favourite faith based organization is the Mennonite Central Committee. Known for good work all over the world. 

10 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

The potential of religious groups to work for a public good and need. Paints Christianity in a positive light and perhaps will overcome the stain that other segments allied with US political interests have spread.

Agreed.  One of the charities I donate to every year is the Catholic Medical Mission Board.  They do a lot of good work all over the world, mainly by providing poor underserved people with medical care.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Yeah, good luck with that. But in the spirit of it I can say that my favourite faith based organization is the Mennonite Central Committee. Known for good work all over the world. 

Yes, yes and yes. I would not hesitate to donate money to them. They are well known for running a sharp operation with no waste of funds. The Salvation Army is equal to them as well.

Edited by Phil1111

13 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Mennonite Central Committee.

My S/O grew up in a small town east of Tulsa next to a Mennonite community. As a child her family barn was taken out by a tornado two years in a row. Both times, the Mennonites showed up and built them a new barn. Didn't ask them to join the church, make a donation, etc. It's just what they do. They have a restaurant called "Dutch Pantry" and not only is the food good, every holiday, they make the world's greatest pies and people will drive for miles just to scarf them up. 

19 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I may come off as substantially anti-Christian and anti-religion. I'm not.

Then stop acting like it.  You've shown nothing but complete intolerance and utter contempt for an entire religious group; and coming in here and starting a thread about how all these other religious groups are better than them probably isn't the best way to show how you're not "substantially anti-christian/religious."  (whatever the hell that means. . .and calling it that doesn't make it any less bigoted.)

A common theme among the narrow-minded is their inability to see the value of the individual within the particular group they're targeting.  Starting a thread that highlights your refusal to acknowledge anything good among american evangelicals in a vain attempt to alienate and dehumanize ALL of them is a perfect example of this.

Edited by Coreece

10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Starting a thread that highlights your refusal to acknowledge anything good among american evangelicals

"Evangelicals" just happens to be what the worst and most militant of the American Talibanelicals call themselves. It is also the name used by most of the commercial rip-off leaders. We sometimes focus on those aspects because we don't really care much that the real meaning is that they are "born again". This is SC, we don't focus on the positive here. If you are looking for that you are in the wrong hangout. You could start a thread about all the positive things liberalism has brought to the world if you wanted. 

5 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

What is an Evangelical?

A pejorative term currently being developed as a catchall definition for anything libtards want to find wrong with Christianity. We're not as adept at otherism as others are so it's still a work in progress. It would definitely not apply to Mennonite Barn Builders but would probably apply to Machine Gun preachers who can't help themselves from leaving behind a few crates of bibles after some good works. No matter, we need to tone it down a bit. After all, we all know believers with huge hearts who are good and fast friends. Maybe I'll start with me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

What is an Evangelical?

Here, from Phil's handbook of christian denominations:

"Evangelical christianity. They call themselves christians but they're no more christian than Al-Baghdadi is a Muslim.

For all of them its about a political ideology that overrides the law and any commandments of christ."

"Evangelicals have found a new home along with Neo-nazis and white supremacists. So they are right at home. Its kind of all warm and fuzzy for them all."

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

"Evangelicals" just happens to be what the worst and most militant of the American Talibanelicals call themselves. It is also the name used by most of the commercial rip-off leaders. We sometimes focus on those aspects because we don't really care much that the real meaning is that they are "born again". This is SC, we don't focus on the positive here. If you are looking for that you are in the wrong hangout. You could start a thread about all the positive things liberalism has brought to the world if you wanted. 

Some could start positive threads about their region. But the massive chips on both shoulders from life experiences. The weight of the crosses they carry on each shoulder from the perceived injustices thrust upon their beliefs. Has caused them to bend over double. Such that they can't see the light of the horizon.

Others can talk about barn building and the actions that they undertake towards others. Not because the others are of the same religion but just because. I know that  the barn builders would give a couple pies away if they saw a need. Or even all the pies away and go hungry themselves

SC can be about the positive so i won't dwell on the _______ in other threads about religion.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Some could start positive threads about their region. But the massive chips on both shoulders from life experiences. The weight of the crosses they carry on each shoulder from the perceived injustices thrust upon their beliefs. Has caused them to bend over double. Such that they can't see the light of the horizon.

So you start thread about the positives of religion to show everyone one that you're not as big a bigot as you sound, and then when given multiple opportunities to prove it, you just ignore them and double down on your narrow-minded view.

You rock!

Merry Christmas

Happy Hanukkah

Joyous Kwanzaa

Yuletide Greetings

Happy holidays

Joyeux Noël

Feliz Navidad

Seasons Greetings

Happy New Year

Joy

Celebrate

Be merry

Enjoy the holiday season

Warmest Wishes

May your days be merry and bright

Glad tidings of comfort and joy

Wishing you a season full of Yuletide cheer

May the beauty of the holidays warm your spirit

There’s no place like home for the holidays, but since you can’t be with us…

Happy holidays from our family to yours

May this Festival of Lights bring blessings upon you and all your loved ones

Sending our best holiday wishes your way

Wishing you a holiday season full of warmth, love, and family

The fruit cake’s in the mail

• Like 2

By golly, be jolly!

Don't get your tinsel in a tangle.

Is it too late to be good?

Be naughty, save Santa the trip.

Santa’s flying in the skies; Watch out for reindeer pies.

It's beginning to cost a lot like Christmas.

Don't blame the holidays, you were fat in August.

Christmas morning she'll be happier with a hoover.

8 hours ago, BIGUN said:

My S/O grew up in a small town east of Tulsa next to a Mennonite community. As a child her family barn was taken out by a tornado two years in a row. Both times, the Mennonites showed up and built them a new barn. Didn't ask them to join the church, make a donation, etc. It's just what they do. They have a restaurant called "Dutch Pantry" and not only is the food good, every holiday, they make the world's greatest pies and people will drive for miles just to scarf them up. 

The first documented member of my family moving to North America was a Dutch Mennonite priest.

Edited by SkyDekker
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

A different side 

"Given you claim to represent the will of God and act as a special witness of Jesus, the Mormon church should be doing more to help the world and its members with its wealth."

My exact reason for leaving the Catholic church.