Phil1111

Christians at Work for the Public Good

As Christmas approaches its time to celebrate the good work that some within this religion do. Those who choose to put US right wing white nationalism aside. Instead acting to help others in the real name of their religion.

Migrants seeking asylum at U.S. border get help from Latter-day Saint Charities, others  "A Haitian family waded across the Rio Grande from Mexico into Texas on Thursday and surrendered to police who took them to agents from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which held the asylum-seekers for one night and then released them.

Instead of making their own way on the streets, the family accepted a bus ride to a new Family Transfer Center sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the YMCA and other charitable organizations in Houston, Texas." It takes volunteers and it takes money to help others like this. "Latter-day Saint Charities is providing funding, volunteers and senior missionary couples at the center, which is located in a warehouse operated by The National Association of Christian Churches near Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Other partners include Catholic Charities, YMCA International Services, Texas Adventist Community Services, Houston Responds and The Houston Food Bank."

From sermons about climate justice to carbon-neutral church halls and eco-friendly initiatives like recycling candles, a growing number of churches are going green.  "The Lutheran church in Denmark has traditionally avoided "political" issues, he explains, and a decade ago many church leaders dismissed climate action as being part of a "left-wing agenda."

Not any more. Climate change is no longer politically divisive — at least not in Denmark. In December 2019, the country passed a law committing it to reduce carbon emissions 70% by 2030, with support from parties across the political spectrum.

Faith communities are increasingly acknowledging the climate crisis. In June 2019, for example, Pope Francis declared a "global climate emergency." For Hansen, it follows that "interest in green churches is booming."..."Denmark now has 232 "green churches," 32 of which signed up in 2019 alone — an increase of 16% on the previous year. "

The potential of religious groups to work for a public good and need. Paints Christianity in a positive light and perhaps will overcome the stain that other segments allied with US political interests have spread.

Edited by Phil1111
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The potential of religious groups to work for a public good and need. Paints Christianity in a positive light and perhaps will overcome the stain that other segments allied with US political interests have spread.

And the minute any of those christians disagreed with you on a political issue or pointed out a flaw in your thinking, you'd just go off on a tangent like you always do, making assumptions about their religion and posting irrelevant links to white supremacist groups that have nothing to do with what's being discussed.

You're not fooling anyone, the good has always been there.  You could've seen it anytime you wanted.  You're just choosing to see it now in yet another attempt to bash those you hate politically.  You don't really care about the good they do, just like you don't care about climate change as much as you like blaming Brent for it.

56 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

As Christmas approaches its time to celebrate the good work that some within this religion do.

This is what President Bush meant when he made his, “Thousand Points of Light” speech. A term derived from Arthur C. Clarke’s, “Rescue Party.” Bush went on to start a foundation dedicated to volunteerism. I’ve mentioned on here before that I was raised Catholic and my family (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.) would get together for the Danny Thomas Telethon collect money from everyone (kids included) and donate it. It was the beginning teaching us to help someone else. 

Danny Thomas was of Lebanese descent but raised Catholic and vowed at a young age to create a foundation honoring St. Jude – the Patron Saint of hopeless causes and spent years raising money for it before it even got started (about a decade, I think). Danny’s motto was, “No child should die in the dawn of life.” And, to this day, no family pays for treatment.

Each church has some form of “Church Charity.” Each year in Oklahoma when tornadoes ravage through our state, the local churches come together and feed the responders. They work with the local restaurants to produce the food, they rally the money for the restaurants, and they serve the meals so the restaurants can focus on cooking. Same with the grass fires in the Spring (our state is predominately Volunteer Fire Departments).

I appreciate your starting this thread because it’s easy to throw rocks at religion and we need to remember they do more good than bad – these days. I lost faith in the Catholic Church as an organization in my twenties, but I didn’t lose faith in the kindness and generosity of those who attend church.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

This is what President Bush meant when he made his, “Thousand Points of Light” speech..... I lost faith in the Catholic Church as an organization in my twenties, but I didn’t lose faith in the kindness and generosity of those who attend church.   

In some third world countries the only groups that help the poor are religious groups from western countries. There will be a minister from Ohio with a little church supported by a congregation in the US. They operate schools, provide very basic health care and in general support the community. The lives they save from poverty, disease, etc. is incalculable. Because it takes so much support above what a usually corrupt their governments do.

7 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

In some third world countries the only groups that help the poor are religious groups from western countries.

Right, people like Sam Childers (Machine Gun Preacher) that went to fight the LRA in South Sudan, rescuing kidnapped children, housing orphans, and building farms/schools when nobody else would help. 

But if he came in here with all his Churching, support for Trump, guns and border control, you'd give him the same boiler plate bullshit you give every other conservative, ( religious or not) how he's just another scared white supremacist Jesus freak afraid of loosing his identity.

Until that type of shit stops, we really don't have much to discuss.

Could we please have a thread on the wonderful charity works done by members of non Christian religions worldwide? Of course we could. But it would be meaningless because religious doctrine and charity have nothing to do with each other. They are merely different aspects of human behavior.

Hey Ron!

Nice to be back.  This place has the tendency to bring out the conservative in me - it's entrenching like that.

Hope everything is going well.  Shalyn's still with me, fighting now for 5+ years.  There's still a decline that brings tears to my eyes, but we're working on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

It's a faux olive branch, hand assembled of polyester and plastic, piss on it.

It started out with, "As Christmas approaches its time to celebrate the good work that some within this religion do." 

I choose to take it at face value. Phil & I have had our spirited differences, but I read nothing in his post that sounded like a setup. Sometimes a rose is just a rose. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Could we please have a thread on the wonderful charity works done by members of non Christian religions worldwide? Of course we could. But it would be meaningless because religious doctrine and charity have nothing to do with each other. They are merely different aspects of human behavior.

Bill Gates and the charitable trust that he and Melinda founded comes to mind. Of course there have been recent disclosures about how Bill may have taken certain liberties, with sexual advancements, upon employees. Others attack him and his trust based upon what I assume to be jealousy.

Given the whole context of Melinda, Bill and their charitable giving. Bill spearheading "The Giving Pledge" and their superbly well managed charitable trust. I would always cut Bill allot of slack.

To your point, there is substantial efforts by Christians, Muslims and other religions to help others. Most of which ends up as non-denominational help.In general religions are a benefit to their groups and a net positive to everyone around them, i.e. society.

I may come off as substantially anti-Christian and anti-religion. I'm not. Because this forum is mainly US based and US politically inclined. The overhanging self interests of Evangelical Christians comes to the fore of my positions. I need not restate any of my thoughts on that group.

We could discuss Buddhism and the nationalist Buddhist prosecutions of the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar. About the refusal of other Buddhists to stand up and condemn such actions.But thats another thread.

What gets me up in arms about religion is the actions of green churches/congregations in Europe. As quoted in my first post. In contrast to the ideals of US pastors, their mega-churches and private Gulfstream jets. Which can be contrasted with true ideals of Christian conduct such as the Ohio pastor example aforementioned.

Edited by Phil1111

27 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

I may come off as substantially anti-Christian and anti-religion. I'm not. Because this forum is mainly US based and US politically inclined.

Indeed. I'm not real sure why Coreece attacked your credibility. I can only assume that he has lumped you into a group that is "liberal" without really reading and considering your posting history. He is often very defensive about the subject of religion and seems to feel it is somehow endangered unfairly whenever any aspect of it is challenged. And now even when it gets any positive mention as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

This is what President Bush meant when he made his, “Thousand Points of Light” speech. A term derived from Arthur C. Clarke’s, “Rescue Party.” Bush went on to start a foundation dedicated to volunteerism. I’ve mentioned on here before that I was raised Catholic and my family (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.) would get together for the Danny Thomas Telethon collect money from everyone (kids included) and donate it. It was the beginning teaching us to help someone else. 

Danny Thomas was of Lebanese descent but raised Catholic and vowed at a young age to create a foundation honoring St. Jude – the Patron Saint of hopeless causes and spent years raising money for it before it even got started (about a decade, I think). Danny’s motto was, “No child should die in the dawn of life.” And, to this day, no family pays for treatment.

Each church has some form of “Church Charity.” Each year in Oklahoma when tornadoes ravage through our state, the local churches come together and feed the responders. They work with the local restaurants to produce the food, they rally the money for the restaurants, and they serve the meals so the restaurants can focus on cooking. Same with the grass fires in the Spring (our state is predominately Volunteer Fire Departments).

I appreciate your starting this thread because it’s easy to throw rocks at religion and we need to remember they do more good than bad – these days. I lost faith in the Catholic Church as an organization in my twenties, but I didn’t lose faith in the kindness and generosity of those who attend church.   

Well said and extremely similar to my experiences as a child and my disillusion with the Catholic Church.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Indeed. I'm not real sure why Coreece attacked your credibility. I can only assume that he has lumped you into a group that is "liberal" without really reading and considering your posting history. He is often very defensive about the subject of religion and seems to feel it is somehow endangered unfairly whenever any aspect of it is challenged. And now even when it gets any positive mention as well.

Bigun is comfortable in his identity and his personal relationship with his Christian identity. IMO thats why he doesn't take my positions as personal attack. Coreece is not and thats why he views them as personal attacks.

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

Well said and extremely similar to my experiences as a child and my disillusion with the Catholic Church.

As I've posted before I was raised as a practicing Catholic and was a altar boy at one time. My eldest sister is still very active in her church. Perhaps its like an ex-smoker or ex-alcoholic. I view some aspects of religion in black and white terms. Don't steal, lie, prey upon the weak and vulnerable, etc. Don't use religion to get on up on another group or individual. Together with the other associated ideals.

Is contrasted with what actually happens in the name of other religions and gods. The Buddhists in Myanmar.is an extrema example. But what all religions have in common. Is a refusal of one denomination to condemn the crimes of another. The hypocrisy of another.religion or sub-sect of their own religion. Its wrong.

12 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

ANYONE who supports trump cannot properly call themselves a christian. There has never been anyone who embodies the 7 deadly sins in one man as unashamedly and completely as he does.

It is the same disconnect as people who complain and refuse to donate to charities because the CEO or paid staff make too much money, but then defend churches by stating how much good they do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGUN said:
5 hours ago, Coreece said:

It's a faux olive branch, hand assembled of polyester and plastic, piss on it.

It started out with, "As Christmas approaches its time to celebrate the good work that some within this religion do." 

I choose to take it at face value. Phil & I have had our spirited differences, but I read nothing in his post that sounded like a setup. Sometimes a rose is just a rose. 

I've talked with Phil enough to know that he's a pretty thoughtful dude and understands the value of self reflection, so no doubt I have faith that deep, deep. . .deep down somewhere in Phil's heart, you're right.

In the mean time, note how he said "the good work that some within religion do."  which in the very next sentence refers to "Those who choose to put US right wing white nationalism aside."

"the stain that other segments allied with US political interests have spread." 

Now if all he was talking about were white supremacists, fine, but we see right there that he's just doing the same shit he always does, but in a more passive aggressive way.  Instead of comparing evangelicals to liberals, he's comparing evangelicals to "some within religion" that have the "potential" to do good work.

And it's no mystery he's referring to all evangelicals.  He's broad brushed "all evangelicals" before, and he just admitted how the "self interests of Evangelical Christians comes to the fore of [his] positions."  So it's a one track mind - everything is twisted to fit that that limited, perhaps even bigoted mindset.  Nevermind the "self interests" of any other conservative, right?

But it doesn't stop there.  Soon he's broad brushing any conservative that disagrees with him and making assumptions about their religion, even known atheists in this forum.  Then comes all the rambling and white supremacist links that have nothing to do with what we were talking about.

I mean if this was truly about the good of religion, why did he feel the need to add those comments?

This is just an extension of the China thread when for absolutely no reason, he starts going off talking some shit about  intellectual curiosity, math, debate skills, and how my ego comes to the fore when my religious beliefs are exposed for what they are.

Then I asked him wtf any of that had to do with what we were talking about, and then his very next post is him starting this thread.  lmao.

But whatever, if this really is about good works and Phil's now saying that he's ok with people like the machine gun preacher, then all's good!:p

https://www.facebook.com/MGP/videos/our-country-has-already-grown-so-much-under-president-donald-j-trumps-leadership/307057716558653/

Edited by Coreece

40 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I've talked with Phil enough to know that he's a pretty thoughtful dude and understands the value of self reflection, so no doubt I have faith that deep, deep. . .deep down somewhere in Phil's heart, you're right.

In the mean time, note how he said "the good work that some within religion do."  which in the very next sentence refers to "Those who choose to put US right wing white nationalism aside."

"the stain that other segments allied with US political interests have spread." 

Now if all he was talking about were white supremacists, fine, but we see right there that he's just doing the same shit he always does, but in a more passive aggressive way.  Instead of comparing evangelicals to liberals, he's comparing evangelicals to "some within religion" that have the "potential" to do good work.

And it's no mystery he's referring to all evangelicals.  He's broad brushed "all evangelicals" before, and he just admitted how the "self interests of Evangelical Christians comes to the fore of [his] positions."  So it's a one track mind - everything is twisted to fit that that limited, perhaps even bigoted mindset.  Nevermind the "self interests" of any other conservative, right?

But it doesn't stop there.  Soon he's broad brushing any conservative that disagrees with him and making assumptions about their religion, even known atheists in this forum.  Then comes all the rambling and white supremacist links that have nothing to do with what we were talking about.

I mean if this was truly about the good of religion, why did he feel the need to add those comments?

This is just an extension of the China thread when for absolutely no reason, he starts going off talking some shit about  intellectual curiosity, math, debate skills, and how my ego comes to the fore when my religious beliefs are exposed for what they are.

Then I asked him wtf any of that had to do with what we were talking about, and then his very next post is him starting this thread.  lmao.

But whatever, if this really is about good works and Phil's now saying that he's ok with people like the machine gun preacher, then all's good!:p

https://www.facebook.com/MGP/videos/our-country-has-already-grown-so-much-under-president-donald-j-trumps-leadership/307057716558653/

I'll PM him to stop the persecution.

49 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Thanks, having him limit it to every other post would be a good start.

The next thing you know there will be a religious test for success in US politics. It may even get so bad that you will no longer have to at least claim to be Christian, and god forbid atheists may become acceptable. Who knows, maybe even the SCOTUS might one day have one. The poor Christians are just so persecuted, no wonder they feel powerless.