Brodi3687

Weight belts worn on commercial airlines

I couldn't find anything recent about this topic when I did a search so if anyone knows of a recent forum then please guide me in the right direction.

Normal feed back would be great as well about experiences with wearing a weight belt while traveling these days. I don't plan on checking a bag so this is why I ask. I might be able to place it in the carry on but it would be tight. Thanks in advance!

I've done it; normally I wore it on the outside of everything, laid it down on the conveyor belt, told them what it was, and waited for it to be investigated.
I'm a middle-aged American woman. That probably helps. And make sure it doesn't look like some sort of bomb vest or something. Any more, I'm more likely to travel with just the belt (no weights), and try to borrow some at the other end. Either that, or just do without -- I don't do serious bigways any more, so it's not really a problem.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Four months ago, flying out of LAX, TSA would not let me carry my weight belt on (I wasn't wearing it, it was in my carry-on bag). They said there was a limit of five pounds, and to check their website for more detail (I've checked their website, and see nothing about that at all).

Flying out of PHX two weeks later with the same weight belt, I had no issues at all. Teammates of mine flying out of BUR and SNA also had no issues. All with more than five pounds of lead.

So I guess the moral of the story is you may have issues flying out of LAX if you have more than five pounds of lead.

I made the mistake of throwing the weights at the bottom of my bag once, it made them have to look at everything in my pack and took quite a while. I'd make sure that they are in the belt or in their own bag as they'll have to swipe it all down.

I've flown through LAX with 8-12 pounds and not been hassled. One time, as the belt went through the X-Ray, the agent said "Ankle weights?" I explained what it was, and continued on. I've had no problems at all in PHX.

That being said, a friend was forced to run downstairs at LAX and check his, so it's inconsistent. I doubt there's a specific policy about it, so it's up to the agent sitting there.
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Good thing I wasn't thinking LAX airport. I'm not liking the inconsistency. MCO is where I am looking to go this time around. Hoping the Skimmer lumbar belt doesn't look too much like a bomb belt to people before I go through TSA security. Flying out of MSP to start the trip off. Maybe I can just say that it is a back warmer for the cold winter months. :P

Instead of carrying the lead, stick the bags in a flat rate USPS box and send it to the DZ. Will cost about $6-10 each way depending on how much lead you have. Eliminates the issue all together. Plus, you don't have to haul that weight both ways.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Well at least at MSP you should be good, I've never had a bad experience with TSA there, nor heard of one. MN Nice and all. But YMMV.

MCO should be pretty used to seeing weight belts due to the big ways they have in DeLand, and all the PDFT/Flight-1/CP guys traveling in and out of there. I'm sure there are plenty on this board that can verify/deny that claim.

Been through Philly, Lax and Phoenix many times with no hassle. I wear it to the search and place it in its own tray. Only had to open it once to show the lead shot. After inspection, I put it in my carry on.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"