wmw999

Importing pictures from Android

Is it possible to preserve the folder structure that was set up on an Android phone when importing pictures, or do you have to start again from scratch? I'm asking for a friend (really -- I have an iPhone, and never sort them on the phone), who has a couple thousand pictures apparently, and doesn't want to have to re-organize them.

Detailed instructions, or a pointer to a website that's very clear, would be good -- I might know more about her Android than she does, and, well, I have an iPhone...

thanks

Wendy P.

It would help if you could give details of exactly what she is trying to accomplish.

Importing from 1) what device to 2) what device? (Phone to a new phone? Phone to desktop/laptop? If the latter, what operating system is the destination device?)

How was initial folder structure created? (The basic structure of the phone's camera  folders? Or did she create her own unique folder tree and then move photos into them ?)

Edited by Divalent

I think she’s going from an android phone to a windows pc, not sure what version of windows. I’m sure she created all the folders on her phone as she needed them because she took so many pictures, and it never occurred to her that she might run out of space on her phone (not the most forward-looking or technical). 
thanks

Wendy

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

and it never occurred to her that she might run out of space on her phone (not the most forward-looking or technical). 

It's not too late for her to sync it to Google Cloud.

OR

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/import-photos-and-videos-from-an-android-phone-to-pc-aed09800-f826-4d40-a243-7640de229d9d

Edited by BIGUN

21 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I think she’s going from an android phone to a windows pc, not sure what version of windows. I’m sure she created all the folders on her phone as she needed them because she took so many pictures, and it never occurred to her that she might run out of space on her phone (not the most forward-looking or technical). 
thanks

Wendy

In that case, it's pretty simple: connect the phone to the computer via a UBS cable, and run "explorer".  Explorer will show the folder tree computer, and will also show the phone as a devices, with it's own folder tree. (Likely she will have to click on the phone device to reveal its folder tree)

Find the top folder for her pictures on the phone (where presumably she has subfolders inside that have pics sorted by topic), and drag that folder into a folder on her computer.

Explorer will copy everything in that phone folder and below into the destination folder on her computer's hard drive, and will preserve the folder structure that existed on the phone.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2021 at 8:50 AM, Divalent said:

Explorer will copy everything in that phone folder and below into the destination folder on her computer's hard drive, and will preserve the folder structure that existed on the phone.

Double-check me on this: If memory serves, it's contingent on Android OS, phone manufacturer and service provider. Some of them want you to use their native cloud, so they block the ability to do this. 

On 12/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, BIGUN said:

Double-check me on this: If memory serves, it's contingent on Android OS, phone manufacturer and service provider. Some of them want you to use their native cloud, so they block the ability to do this. 

i think that is only if you go from phone to computer.  opening the phone in a folder on the computer (going from computer to phone) gets the file structure in tact.  windows sees the pictures differently than android, but iphones will not let you do this at all.  now i have to go see if you are actually correct and i am mistaken due to limited android/phone versions used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

In post 5 - she is going from android phone to WinPC

and it matters how she is importing them.  if she is on the windows computer it works on everything i have tried, but if she is on the phone trying to import to the computer, it matters very much what the device is and how it tries to import.  if the pics are stored on the cloud, like google drive, all bets are off as to how to do it.

edit:  that still sounds clunky.  when i mean going from computer to phone, i mean she is on the computer using that to pull the pics in.  what i mean from phone to computer is being on the phone and pushing them to the computer.  both involve being hooked up via usb cable.  that was more complicated than i thought it was.

Edited by sfzombie13
clarification
  • Like 1

And I’ve been out of town and out of internet for the last 10 days, and haven’t heard from my friend, so I assume everything is copacetic… But if she’s still having issues, there’s a whole lot more information now. Thanks 

Wendy P. 

16 hours ago, wmw999 said:

And I’ve been out of town and out of internet for the last 10 days, and haven’t heard from my friend, so I assume everything is copacetic… But if she’s still having issues, there’s a whole lot more information now. Thanks 

Wendy P. 

If she's copacetic I think some vitamin D & C should help out.