KyleRules

how to travel with a parachute on a airplane?

format

***Never seen a grumpy baggage handler in action?

Schiphol airport, Amsterdam
It looks like a Cypres may turn itself on and fire :o

I was thinking more like this.
https://youtu.be/vz_Sxh4526w

And trust me, airlines do not want to pay for damages.
I tried to get Air Berlin to pay for damages during about a year and they just never replied to emails, if I called them they sent me papers to fill out and then the papers "got lost", so back to square one.

jumpsalot-2

Either Pro Pack or Flat Pack ....... I don't think the airlines have a preference ........ :)

Awsum.....

I used to just wear it as a backpack before 9/11 with leg straps and such tucked into a wee pouch.... and if anyone looked at you a little weird.. just look them in the eye..... "what you didn't get yours at check in?";)

Seriously though

No way I am checking my rig in EVER.. opening up your suitcase and finding ALL YOUR SHIT unpacked and just stuffed back in by some wee twit doing his "security thing"

Put it in a carryon... make sure your carryon will work for your airline size restrictions put the other important stuff in there as well like logbooks... alti's etc.jumpsuit etc can be used as "packing around it. Basically have all the stuff you need for that skydive vacation with you.
Helmet can go in checked baggage. If it disappears for a few days... you can always borrow a student helmet.

Put in copies of the appropriate regulations from TSA or what ever other group of anal retentive types are keeping you "Safe" as well as the packing card showing what that gadget with wires and stuff (Cyres..etc) is supposed to look like and be prepared to ask for a supervisor at a moments notice.

I agree with the always-carry-on thing, but I think it's smart to have your rig and ONLY your rig in that carry-on suitcase.

Personally, the bare minimum I have in carry-on is rig and papers, since I can always get jumpsuits (not that I really need them as a CRW-dog), helmet and altimeters at the DZ.

Some airlines allow you a second hand-bag as carry-on (usually much smaller than the suitcase). In that case, feel free to also take along things like altimeters etc on carry-on.

Also, include the cypres/vigil X-ray card whenever flying. If flying into the USA, I think there's also a TSA letter on their website stating a sports rig is safe to carry on. Never hurts to print and take that along with you.

Ninja edit: don't forget to put hook knives etc in your check-in luggage. The less reason security has to check out your luggage in detail, the less can go wrong.

Just got my rigsleeve and I must say it's very awesome. I travel with my rig on airplanes at least once a month and I got tired of securing handles and all that crap.

I usually go to Dubai, Emirates is used to seeing skydivers with rigs onboard pretty frequently. ;)

Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

IJskonijn

I agree with the always-carry-on thing, but I think it's smart to have your rig and ONLY your rig in that carry-on suitcase.

Personally, the bare minimum I have in carry-on is rig and papers, since I can always get jumpsuits (not that I really need them as a CRW-dog), helmet and altimeters at the DZ.

Some airlines allow you a second hand-bag as carry-on (usually much smaller than the suitcase). In that case, feel free to also take along things like altimeters etc on carry-on.

Also, include the cypres/vigil X-ray card whenever flying. If flying into the USA, I think there's also a TSA letter on their website stating a sports rig is safe to carry on. Never hurts to print and take that along with you.

Ninja edit: don't forget to put hook knives etc in your check-in luggage. The less reason security has to check out your luggage in detail, the less can go wrong.

Almost exactly what folks recommended to me when I was traveling recently. Cruised through TSA without any problem............but.......did not even think about the hook knife! That could have had some negative results. Whew.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

IJskonijn

Some of us have jumpsuit requirements not easily met at most DZ's;)

Oh and my handbag... was big enough to stuff the helmet in it.... as well as some other personal items stuffed into it so I did not usually take a checked in bag.

Jus sayin

I agree with the always-carry-on thing

It is not always your choice. They may require an inspection of both main and reserve, or may not let it on at all at their discretion. It does not matter if you have the TSA letter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I flew almost every weekend in Australia with my rig for about a year and checked it in every time. Packed it in a hard suitcase.

I've been with friends who have rigs going through security and sometimes they get hassled and sometimes they don't. I know people who have had to open their reserve before and they have every right to ask you to do this.

I just traveled with my rig as a carry on, I bought a rig sleeve and put my alti, audible, gopro and log book in the sleeve. Passing through tsa I was expecting a lot of grief and had the tsa letter and cypress pictures. As I looked back at the xray tech ready to hand him paperwork, he looked at me and said "parachute?" I said yes and he told me they would have to swab it for explosives and I was on my way. The other two airports I went through all knew what it was and didn't question it. Its best not to put into a carry on and looks like a backpack when its in a rigsleeve. Two flight attendants knew what it was and comped my first round!