tkhayes

Ground to Aircraft handheld radios?

tkhayes

Recommendations? I have a bunch of older KX-99's but they are failing and batteries do not seem to last. Tried cheaper ICOMs a couple years ago and was very disappointed with them. What have you have success with?

Aircraft Spruce has a "Handheld Radio Wizard" that might give you some insight into different manufacturers. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/handhelds.html#

I am happy with my ICOM IC-A6, but it spends most of its time in my flight bag and does not see heavy use.

For a radio that sits in a charger most of the time, I would expect to get a new battery at least every 2 years.

Keeping in mind how far away a fight path may be. I was calling out to the plane for high winds in the landing area once. I could not reach them, but the airport heard me and sent the message out to them. Power supply and line of sight all matter. I was on a line voltage radio and still could not reach them. A good antenna is probably also an issue.
Life is short ... jump often.

I've heard a lot of pilots like the Yaesu radios. I've been looking at buying a handheld as well, so this could be interesting to see what you end up with.

What was the issue with the Icom? Are you using it in the office or out in the field? Antenna selection and orientation may play a role in the effectiveness of any given radio, all other things the same.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The Icoms we had - two different models had shitty batteries. they did not last more than a couple hours and after about 6 months they needed to be replaced. At about $100/battery at the time.

I got pissed off with replacing them and sold the radios and chargers with them. tried a couple after market batteries with not much luck either.

I have an older Icom IC-A4 I think it is. Has always worked great and the original battery would last me all day running the boogie. I broke down and bought a new battery about 2 yrs ago because the original started to leak. I think I paid $40.00 for an after market battery with more capacity.

Always used Icoms on the DZ, A2, A20, A3 and A6 without any of the battery problems you have had TK. That's genuine and aftermarket batteries. They usually last all day or may need changing on a long day in the summer. The batteries do need replacing after about 18 months but the aftermarket batteries are around £25 ($40) from Ebay.