1 1
colognebilly

Skyer Altimeter

11 hours ago, colognebilly said:

Hi, i think to buy a Skyer Altimeter but i cant find a lot over the device, i like the big Display and the charging function, are there any people here wich use(d) this altimeter and can tell me Do you like it or not and is it trustworthy? Cheers and thanks, Markus 

this one?

https://skyer.online/en/shop

Are Russian skylife Vega/Sirius/Orion altimeters popular over there?

54 minutes ago, sundevil777 said:

this one?

https://skyer.online/en/shop

Are Russian skylife Vega/Sirius/Orion altimeters popular over there?

I only switched to a digital alti after 30 years with analog.  I first bought a Viso II, but quickly switched and found a used Neptune II.

The Skyer has some of the same negatives as the Viso/Ares.  The font is a very low aspect ratio, and uses the simpler, awful 7 segment type display. I find the Neptune/N3/Atlas display much easier to read because of the higher aspect ratio and rounded font. It is easy to dismiss the importance of this, but it is real.

Also, the Skyer and Viso/Ares show too many digits in freefall, Showing beyond the "hundreds" digit for feet is not useful, and becomes a distracting blur. Even when using meters, 2 digits is probably enough,I doubt a third digit is useful.

Edited by sundevil777

This is an old topic, but I'll give my two cents if anyone happens to read this.

Skyer is and has been my first and only digital altimeter. Well, actually this one I have is the third Skyer, as the first and second one just stopped working suddenly. This third one has had some starting issues if the battery has run out, but so far I have managed to get it working.

Otherwise I've been happy with large and four-digit display (I prefer metric system). I don't need any fancy logging features.

My audible is made by L&B and these two have slightly different opinion on the height. In free fall it doesn't really matter as the difference is 20-40 meters. When I swoop I always follow the audible.

Edited by hhh

I have asked Skyer if they have any relationship to the now defunct Alter.

They say there is no similarity between the products or the brand and they are not associated.  Perhpas it is the case but damn they sure look identical.

Alter were around for a short while some years ago and made an average product at a low entry barrier price.  You basically got something cheap that would last a while but unlikely to have longevity.

Alter disappeared owing people money for orders that were unfulfilled.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.05.04 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.04.37 pm.png