riggerrob

Jumping with a bicycle?

Has anyone jumped with a bicycle?
I am thinking more in terms of military jumpers exiting with rucksack, rifle and snowshoes a and bicycle and pedalling back to the DZ. During World War 2, paratroopers experimented with folding bicycles (made by Birmingham Small Arms) but they tended to drop their bikes in panniers, then chase down the panniers, re-install wheels, etc. I wonder if any military-grade bikes are still in production?

Might come in handy if you BASE jumped the backcountry, then had a long hike on logging roads to return to civilization.
BASE jumping also implies a canopy in the 300 square foot range (I weight 200 out of my sleeping bag).

Rob you're too old to become a dirty rotten low pulling base jumper.

Now, I have seen some bicycles that fold up to be put in a trunk that might suit your needs. I'm always nervous about these kickstarter things but you might want to check out a helix bike. I saw photos of a prototype that was to be folded up in the back of a carbon cub.

Other than that, check out a dahon uno they're not made out of unaffordium and you can find them on amazon.

-Michael