Flyfast

Leonardo DiCaprio Skydiving Double Mal

This weekend young lady at the checkout sees my Skydiving T-shirt and says wow I would never do that! She goes on to day her aunt did a tandem and had a problem with the parachute, so the instructor unclipped her so that he could fix it and then dived down to catch her and clip back on once he had it sorted:D

I didn't bother correcting her, but I can see how a cutaway could be perceived as that happening!

Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

This weekend young lady at the checkout sees my Skydiving T-shirt and says wow I would never do that! She goes on to day her aunt did a tandem and had a problem with the parachute, so the instructor unclipped her so that he could fix it and then dived down to catch her and clip back on once he had it sorted:D

I didn't bother correcting her, but I can see how a cutaway could be perceived as that happening!

i could only stare at her and say "wow, what a badass instructor!"

:o

:D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

JohnMitchell

***I was on that load and happened to see their deployment as I was last out in my wingsuit. It was one "No shit, there I was, I thought I was going to die..." story if I ever saw one.

Well no shit, tell us more! :D

Tell me more, tell me more (did they fall very far)
Tell me more, tell me more (like did they land on a car)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

If you saw the whole thing then please keep that information to yourself. This is DZ.com, an internet forum, and there is no room for actual information here. You should limit your self to speculation and wild guessing. Tangents are especially revered, the farther off field the better. Pseudoscience and buzzwords are appreciated too
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Baksteen

******I was on that load and happened to see their deployment as I was last out in my wingsuit. It was one "No shit, there I was, I thought I was going to die..." story if I ever saw one.

Well no shit, tell us more! :D

Tell me more, tell me more (did they fall very far)
Tell me more, tell me more (like did they land on a car)

DZ.com rocks!
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

decompresion

If you saw the whole thing then please keep that information to yourself. This is DZ.com, an internet forum, and there is no room for actual information here. You should limit your self to speculation and wild guessing. Tangents are especially revered, the farther off field the better. Pseudoscience and buzzwords are appreciated too

I thought that protocol was reserved for the "Incidents" forum.

>I didn't bother correcting her, but I can see how a cutaway could be perceived
>as that happening!

And at the other extreme, I had a passenger who didn't believe that we had a cutaway. Even after we landed. On the bus he asked another instructor "is he just pulling my leg?"

billvon

>I didn't bother correcting her, but I can see how a cutaway could be perceived
>as that happening!

And at the other extreme, I had a passenger who didn't believe that we had a cutaway. Even after we landed. On the bus he asked another instructor "is he just pulling my leg?"

If there is no video, it never happened. Right ? ;)
Life is short ... jump often.

Ryan Reynolds is another one who had a "near-death experience during a terrifying skydiving ordeal".

Spoiler alert - yup another cutaway :S

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/news/celebrity/2011/06/20/ryan-reynolds-nearly-dies-sky-diving

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

CountZero23

Ryan Reynolds is another one...

http://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/news/celebrity/2011/06/20/ryan-reynolds-nearly-dies-sky-diving

"Ryan Reynolds has revealed that he had a near-death experience during a terrifying skydiving ordeal.

The Green Lantern star claims that, when he was 17, he panicked when his primary parachute failed to launch during a dive.

"I'm falling to the ground thinking that it was great and then I pulled my cord and, nothing," Reynolds recalled. "Then I remember that I have to try to release the reserve shoot. This might sound odd but when you're falling like that you just can't bring yourself to do it."

He went on to explain that he was so terrified his reserve parachute might also malfunction that he almost couldn't bring himself to pull the cord.

"I'm up there thinking, 'When I pull this reserve and nothing happens, that's it - I'm still alive but I'm already dead'," Reynolds continued. "Physically I cannot release that reserve because I don't want to find out if it's going to work or not."

Reynolds eventually managed to compose himself and launch his backup parachute successfully, but said the severity of the situation didn't hit him until he safely landed.

"That was the point where my whole world collapsed and the panic attack kicked in," he added.

However, he was put off for life when his instructor died shortly after the incident when a jump went horribly wrong."

:P
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess