bdb2004

Arizona Dropzones

There's a possibility I'll be heading to visit family in the Phoenix area in the next few months, and I was thinking about bringing my gear with me and getting in a few jumps.  Besides Skydive Arizona, are there any DZs in the area that are open to licensed jumpers?  As someone who comes from a small 182 DZ and only has time to jump a couple of times a month, I'm honestly a bit intimidated by how big and busy it is at Skydive Arizona. But for some reason, I thought I once heard that most of the dropzones in Arizona mostly catered to the tandem crowd. Thoughts?  

I have only jumped in Eloy, but there is Skydive Phoenix in Casa Grande, south of Phoenix. And Skydive Buckeye, in Buckeye, west of Phoenix. Both have an Experienced Jumper tabs on their websites.

There is also Phoenix Skydive Center, but I do believe (and could be wrong) that it is mostly tandems there. I did not see anything about experienced jumpers on their website.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:23 AM, bdb2004 said:

There's a possibility I'll be heading to visit family in the Phoenix area in the next few months, and I was thinking about bringing my gear with me and getting in a few jumps.  Besides Skydive Arizona, are there any DZs in the area that are open to licensed jumpers?  As someone who comes from a small 182 DZ and only has time to jump a couple of times a month, I'm honestly a bit intimidated by how big and busy it is at Skydive Arizona. But for some reason, I thought I once heard that most of the dropzones in Arizona mostly catered to the tandem crowd. Thoughts?  

i understand why you would feel intimidated. But rest assured that SDAZ Eloy is a very welcoming DZ. they have FF and FS load organisers everyday. and they cater to all skill levels. 

If you choose to visit Eloy I'm sure you will enjoy it 

Edited by Squeak
spelling

On 12/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, bdb2004 said:

...As someone who comes from a small 182 DZ and only has time to jump a couple of times a month, I'm honestly a bit intimidated by how big and busy it is at Skydive Arizona....

Don't let that stop you.  When I jumped, it was also just a couple of times a month at a small DZ.  I had a job that allowed me to travel and I would always take my gear and get a jump in at one of the "big city" drop zones when I could.  It was scary at first, but you get used to it.  Just ask a lot of questions and pay attention.  You'll be glad you did it.

Thank you, all, for your thoughts thus far.  

I'll definitely check out Skydive Arizona while I'm down there.  I'll also likely pop in on Skydive Buckeye as well.  At least based on their website, they appear to be the most licenced-jumper-friendly of the ones I've looked at.  

Stop by and see us at Skydive Phoenix.. we have a huge fun jumper base..we have a PAC750 and six Cessnas... we jump everyday.. and have the small/medium drop zone feel.  We are located in Maricopa on a private airstrip.. with camping, RV hookups, showers, full service rigging loft and grass landing area.  Its a gorgeous place.  The place in Casa Grande is the tandem mill.. and they just changed their name to confuse people in to thinking they are us.. they are NOT.  

On 12/16/2021 at 10:38 AM, mdrogue1 said:

Stop by and see us at Skydive Phoenix.. we have a huge fun jumper base..we have a PAC750 and six Cessnas... we jump everyday.. and have the small/medium drop zone feel.  We are located in Maricopa on a private airstrip.. with camping, RV hookups, showers, full service rigging loft and grass landing area.  Its a gorgeous place.  The place in Casa Grande is the tandem mill.. and they just changed their name to confuse people in to thinking they are us.. they are NOT.  

For sure, I'll be there!  

• Like 1