1 1
SethInMI

NOTAMs aren't NOTAMs anymore

On Thursday, the meaning of the acronym NOTAM changed from “Notice to Airmen” to “Notice to Air Missions.” 

According to the 176-page rule from the FAA, the name change complies with the

Federal Women’s Program (FWP) suggestions, as the term Notice to Air Missions is “inclusive of all aviators and missions.” 

In addition to the gender neutrality imparted by the new name, Notice to Air Missions also addresses the flight of free balloons and small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS) colloquially known as “drones,” neither of which have a human onboard. Therefore, Notice to Air Missions is a more correct term.

They removed Airmen and replaced it with Missions.  What an outrage, now discrimination against men.

58 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

Notice to Air Missions also addresses the flight of free balloons and small unmanned aerial systems (sUAS) colloquially known as “drones,” neither of which have a human onboard. Therefore, Notice to Air Missions is a more correct term.

No, this doesn't make it more correct. The balloon or the drone doesn't consume the notice, the human in charge of it does.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nwt said:

No, this doesn't make it more correct. The balloon or the drone doesn't consume the notice, the human in charge of it does

I read it as support for autonomous flight path planning, where an automated system could create a flight plan and follow it. In that case the software would process the NOTAMs and take action as appropriate.

9 minutes ago, SethInMI said:

I read it as support for autonomous flight path planning, where an automated system could create a flight plan and follow it. In that case the software would process the NOTAMs and take action as appropriate.

It just sounds like someone was tasked with coming up with something less genderized and did the best they could without changing the acronym. No one wanted NOTAPs!

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It just sounds like someone was tasked with coming up with something less genderized and did the best they could without changing the acronym. No one wanted NOTAPs!

Yeah, that seems like the directive: "keep the same letters!". But I like the result, someone I bet was pretty pleased with themselves over that bit of wordplay.

On 12/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, gowlerk said:

They could have gone with honesty and called them NoNo's: Notice to no one.

talk about clickbait.  why would anyone say they aren't notam's any longer when clearly they are still a notam?  who the hell cares about an agency trying to help all people feel accepted as they are and welcome?  everyone bitching and raising hell about this "pc bullshit" can kiss my arse.  that is the kind of insensitive shit that i used to spout, back when i was one choice away from becoming a member of an "elite" unit.  they call it toxic masculinity for a reason.  i like the change since it basically changes nothing but the long name and is more inclusive.  now if they can just get those racist names off of the trails in wv, but that is a whole other subject.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sfzombie13 said:

why would anyone say they aren't notam's any longer when clearly they are still a notam?

Only in the USA has the FAA decided that the accepted worldwide term NOTAM needs to have its meaning updated. You are correct there is no real change and a NOTAM is still a NOTAM.

5 hours ago, sfzombie13 said:

talk about clickbait.  why would anyone say they aren't notam's any longer when clearly they are still a notam? 

lol. I created this post, and yes it was clickbait, but this site is dead as fuck, so why not a little clickbait. And it is true, a NOTAM is not a NOTAM anymore, now it is a NOTAM! 

If you want to get annoyed with someone, get annoyed with donalexinder24, a bot that bumped this thread and brought it to your attention with a copy post in an attempt for what I don't know. some sort of cred with something... 

• Like 1