burim88

Everest Skydive

Has anyone ever jumped at Skydive Everest?

I am thinking about remortgaging my house and using the money to be able to afford 2 jumps that cost $20,000 :o.

Seriously though, how on earth can they charge that sort of price?

On that note, has anyone got any DZs with cool views that they'd like to share? Kinda planning my 2016 skydiving trips and stuck on what places to go to (any in Europe would be great but won't mind travelling further around this awesome earth depending on how awesome the DZ is)

The price is a reflection of the amount of work that goes into putting it together, getting there (no one gets on the mountain for free) and the logistical problems they have to deal with to make it work. Every "unique" skydive has a price,and this one does get used.And like any price they can "Seriously" charge , I guess the market will decide if it is right or not . Looks like a great time,everyone I know who has been rave's about it ,how many people have it in there logbook I wonder ?

And in addition to all of the above, you have to get a permit from the government to be on the mountain, and that's a healthy fee which pays for cleaning up the trash left behind, medical care for the injured, and rescue operations. Climbers pay about $65,000 for their attempts. You're getting off easy...

burim88

Has anyone ever jumped at Skydive Everest?

I am thinking about remortgaging my house and using the money to be able to afford 2 jumps that cost $20,000 :o.

Seriously though, how on earth can they charge that sort of price?

On that note, has anyone got any DZs with cool views that they'd like to share? Kinda planning my 2016 skydiving trips and stuck on what places to go to (any in Europe would be great but won't mind travelling further around this awesome earth depending on how awesome the DZ is)

Geez, You would think it would only be a $25 jump ticket.

Bill Booth posts on here? I didn't know that, that's awesome. What was the jump plane and altitude AGL? From the video it looked like about a 40 second delay but it wasn't clear as there was a bit of editing. What was deployment altitude AGL? Did you know this person?

Video of Bill's Everest skydive if you're interested/haven't seen it before.

We did it in 2008 and it really was a trip of a lifetime and for sure a skydive I won't ever forget.

If you can't afford it then don't go, but if you are trying to decide between blowing your money on a nice car or an adventure you won't ever forget, I would pick Skydive Everest.

To answer your question, how about you fill in your profile because experience levels affects some of the really cool choices.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

We jump from 30,000 and opened at about 16,000 for a landing at 13,000. The short freefall time is due to the high freefall velocity at 30,000. Uppers were 88 knots and temp was -60. Being in freefall at that altitude with mountains whizzing by is quite a sensation, and the view under canopy is amazing. Jumped a PD 260 and it felt like a 160. The aircraft was a porter. Some of our jumpers landed above 17,000 last year near base camp.

billbooth

We jump from 30,000 and opened at about 16,000 for a landing at 13,000. The short freefall time is due to the high freefall velocity at 30,000. Uppers were 88 knots and temp was -60. Being in freefall at that altitude with mountains whizzing by is quite a sensation, and the view under canopy is amazing. Jumped a PD 260 and it felt like a 160. The aircraft was a porter. Some of our jumpers landed above 17,000 last year near base camp.

Do the jumpers get hard openings because of the fast freefall speed ?
Life is short ... jump often.

It's not just 20k for two jumps, it's 20k for an 11-day holiday, that includes two skydives. The only other thing you gotta pay is a ticket into Kathmandu, your visa and some hiking equipment.

Too bad I don't have the money, because I think it would be an awesome holiday, especially if you're also into trekking/mountaineering.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's ever been a CRW formation over there..?

Thx for the heads up. Didn't realize what was involved and somewhat I wanted justification for the prize but from what I read, it seems like you get value for money.

I read on their website that you you use bigger canopies as well - so thank you Bill for clearing that up. Its ashame that I cannot afford it... Anybody want to buy a kidney?

Just updated my profile, would be great for any DZ recommendations. Currently have been to 14 DZ around the world which include Dubai, Seville, Nagambie, Sydney, Jersey, Teuge and majority in England.

burim88

Skydive Efes in Turkey. Beautiful views of the Aegean Sea, The ancient city of Efes, and everything in between. When you go, tell Meryem and Harun that Tanya sent you. :)
As for getting there -- Check Turkish Airlines for good prices to Izmir.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

jumpsalot-2

Do the jumpers get hard openings because of the fast freefall speed ?

Basic physics would say "yes." At 18K, the air is about half the density of sea level, so I would expect maybe twice the G load at opening. But you know how many other variables there are for opening shock, such as packing, type canopy, chaos in the universe, etc.

I've never actually opened above 13K, and esp. not at terminal. Maybe more experienced jumper will chime in. :)
To Burim "On that note, has anyone got any DZs with cool views that they'd like to share?"

My home DZ on the Olympic Peninsula in WA. http://skydive101.com/

My home away from home DZ https://www.pacificskydivinghonolulu.com/

The North Shore of Oahu has some of the best scenery I've seen in freefall without having to exchange money or show a passport. B|

Oh Tom, any ideas why?

It's a great question for sure. I wrote an article about it a few years ago for Blue Skies Mag titled: "It cost how much?" that explained the basics behind the costs of such a trip.

By comparison as of late, I believe that both the North Pole and (organized) South Pole expeditions were on par with this cost, so it's not unheard of for these remote location trips to be so expensive.

The primary issue with any expedition program like this is the need to set up a fully functioning drop zone in a remote location. We typically ferry equipment and staff from around the world to Kathmandu, which is quite costly. Then when everything arrives it has to be transferred again into the Himalaya into one of the most remote locations on earth.

In all the years we have been doing this, my favorite quote came from Bill Booth: "The Himalaya is the land that the wheel forgot."

He was basically saying that without roads, everything had to be walked in or flown into the region. Not that Yak rentals are very expensive.....but Eurocopter tac time/transport costs can be quite high in a location such as this, all of which ends up being reflected in our cost structure.

So, the short answer is simply to say that to move a fully functioning DZ into the Himalaya is really really really really expensive. :)
There is another issue that we struggle with regarding cost and that is the duration of the jump program and the number or people that we can reasonably be able to get in, jump and get out again without undue weather delays. We are at the mercy of one of the most unique and challenging weather system locations in the world. By that what I mean is, if we had 100 clients, it would be more cost effective, but.....trying to coordinate the operational logistics for 100 people into and out of the Himalaya, account for weather, account for space to put everyone (limited lodging on the trails), Everest Skydive simply couldn't work with a large volume of clients efficiently, so these parameters beyond our control presented to us, also provide a limited number of available slots, which drives the value up in costs. As a comparison, I don't know how many seats are on the Virgin Galactic spacecraft, but imagine if they built one the size of an A380 to accommodate as many people as possible. That program would probably not be able to sustain itself on that large of a scale. While we aren't taking people into space of course, the idea is basically the same.

In the end though, I think it's safe to say that for those that have been there and experienced the program, it compares to little else in the high altitude adventure skydiving universe. I am very fortunate to work with a group of exceptionally talented teammates that allow us continue to share our passion for skydiving and for Nepal with new friends each year.

I like to say it's 11 months of hard work at sea level for one more month a year of even harder work at 13,000ft MSL as our base of operations. But that's Everest Skydive, a group of hard working people that love fell in love with the Himalaya and keep bringing people back to share that passion.

On a side note, despite the cost of the trip, I'm driving a beat up 2004 car to work everyday.....lol....there's no mega profits coming out of any of this......we don't do it for the money, we do it for the experience.

I mean after all, how many places in the world look like this in freefall?

(photo credit: Wendy Smith)

If anyone has any questions about the expedition, I am always happy to talk to people about what we do. Email me at [email protected]
Namaste,
Tom Noonan

www.everest-skydive.com

grimmie

Looks fun Tom, but I prefer board shorts and sunshine :P;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJkTOVyti8o

The most amazing part of that video is that the maker watermarked it, but has no shame about ripping off Aerosmith.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.