1 1
kmzamani

FLYAWAY

during the flyaway from the airplane.  i've also heard it used to mean a trip, like when we did a flyaway from wv in a c-17 to jump into the dz in ut.  on a related note, we have a flyin cafe at the airport i jump at.  when i took my coach course they said it was written like that to imply that you start flying when you leave the airplane and don't stop when you get together.  may or may not be true.

13 hours ago, husslr187 said:

in that context it should probably be worded as fall away or exit.

possibly “on the hill” but that might be too confusing for some people 

I take it to mean on the hill. Exit wouldn't really make sense--you don't want your legs to go limp in the door.

10 hours ago, nwt said:

I take it to mean on the hill. Exit wouldn't really make sense--you don't want your legs to go limp in the door.

yes I believe it’s referring to the time you’re transitioning from a vertical body position to a horizontal one. Some people refer to the hill as “during the exit” that’s the only reason I suggested it. 

On 12/6/2021 at 5:24 AM, husslr187 said:

in that context it should probably be worded as fall away or exit.

possibly “on the hill” but that might be too confusing for some people 

The confusing word is "exit."  For someone new to skydiving, exiting is what you do when you go through the door.  For experienced jumpers, the exit is the part of the skydive when you let go of the aircraft, and it is possible to be completely outside the cabin, say, on a C182 step or rear-rear float on an Otter, and still not have exited.  Instructors can use the term "flyaway" with new jumpers so there is no confusion about what part of the jump they are referring to.  Jargon can come later.

--Mark

5 minutes ago, mark said:

The confusing word is "exit."  For someone new to skydiving, exiting is what you do when you go through the door.  For experienced jumpers, the exit is the part of the skydive when you let go of the aircraft

I think neither of these meanings are intended here