1 1
kmg365

Skydiver passed away...need to sell gear.

Hello everyone!

My name is Kris. My longtime companion passed away this past October. He was an avid skydiver for many years. He was meticulous about his gear, including his rig and canopy. I need to sell his canopy and rig. The canopy is a Stiletto 135 and the rig is a Javelin J2 (c17). I don't know where to begin to sell the equipment. If someone could give me some suggestions about what I should charge for the equipment, I would be grateful. I don't wish to make alot of money, I only want it to go to a good home.

Thank you for your help.

(edited)

Reach out to the dropzone he jumped at, his rigger, or friends he jumped with. They will be able to steer you in the right direction.  There are many factors that go into pricing equipment, beginning with a thorough inspection of all components.  Age and number of jumps play into the value, as well as popularity of each component. Don't try to price online, someone you trust needs to have eyes on the equipment.  

I'm sorry for your loss. 

Edited by fluffyduckie
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, fluffyduckie said:

Reach out to the dropzone he jumped at, his rigger, or friends he jumped with. They will be able to steer you in the right direction.  There are many factors that go into pricing equipment, beginning with a thorough inspection of all components.  Age and number of jumps play into the value, as well as popularity of each component. Don't try to price online, someone you trust needs to have eyes on the equipment.  

I'm sorry for your loss. 

Thank you for your reply. I will do that. I am familiar with his dropzone as I jumped there myself a LONG time ago.

(edited)

Depending on the DZ, it may or may not be a good place to sell it.

I've seen 'estate gear' go to friends of the deceased for a fair (not high or low) price at a smaller DZ. 
But there may or may not be someone who is looking for it.

The rigger who took care of it is a good place to start. 

Most of the big gear stores (Chutingstar, Square One, Rock Skymarket, ect) will sell stuff on consignment.
They take it off your hands, inspect it, price it and sell it (for a cut).

My condolences on your loss. 

Edited by wolfriverjoe