1 1
JoeWeber

Karen McDonald, prosecutor

30 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

Brother gowlerk is a long-haul trick driver who frequently delivers to the USA. So he sees more of the USA - in a week - than many US citizens see in a lifetime.

Almost all of the USA that I see and interact with is what is known as "flyover country". Places where Jesus has many billboards and owns many radio stations. Trump 2024 signs abound in some of these places. Only occasionally do I see fat slobs doing the open carry thing in Iowa Walmart stores! (Iowa may have the fattest population of anywhere I've seen)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Between redistricting, armed insurrections and legal challenges to democratic elections, the right may have found methods to deny power to those they see as enemies.

You make it sound like the left does no such thing. 

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

You know damn well which party has made it a central strategy and which has spent decades researching and implementing electoral methods by which they can undermine the actual will of the electorate. To even suggest that there is an equivalence between the two right now is beneath you.

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Perhaps I did make it sound like the left has not mounted armed insurrections when they lose an election.  Which was intentional.

And let's compare and contrast the endless lawsuits after this presidential election with the election in 2000.  Florida was too close to call.  They did a recount.  Still very, very close.  Who finally, officially put an end to the recounts and allowed a winner to be declared?  Al Gore, who as vice president, was president of the Senate - and whom therefore lost the election.  His words - "for the sake of our unity as a people and the strength of our democracy, I offer my concession."    (Fun side note - a later unofficial recount found that Gore had won when they went by "intent of voter.")

Shall we compare that to how Trump reacted to losing the last election in a landslide?

15 minutes ago, jakee said:

You know damn well which party has made it a central strategy and which has spent decades researching and implementing electoral methods by which they can undermine the actual will of the electorate.

C'mon. Both parties put on their gerrymandering strategic war hats after every census. NY being one of the most ruthless - for years.  You do realize the Democrats control the House. 

17 minutes ago, jakee said:

To even suggest that there is an equivalence between the two right now is beneath you.

I will agree the pendulum has swung towards to the Republicans being more guilty for this next election. 

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Perhaps I did make it sound like the left has not mounted armed insurrections when they lose an election. 

I can't argue that. It was despicable. My point leaned more towards - the left is not adverse to being violent also. 

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Now, that is a definite front runner for UnderStatement of the Year.

Afternoon, Jerry.

I guess I thought it was pretty straight forward. We both know the pendulum swings towards gerrymandering tactics when the losing side is threatened. It's not like both parties aren't guilty of stealing each other's playbook. 

Keith

19 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I guess I thought it was pretty straight forward. We both know the pendulum swings towards gerrymandering tactics when the losing side is threatened. It's not like both parties aren't guilty of stealing each other's playbook. 

Agreed.  Of course, republicans do more gerrymandering by far.  In 2016 the republicans won 22 House seats through gerrymandering alone.

18 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Of course we're more inclined to violent defense.

I served with a considerable number of liberals that would refute that general characterization. Democrats from the south can be viscously offensive - and not just with guns. :) 

(edited)
1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

Afternoon, Jerry.

Keith

Absolutely.

Prior to the Civil Rights legislation in the 60s, much (most?) of the South was a Democrat (not 'democratic') fortress. 
While elections were held, the only winners were those put up by the party machine.

After Johnson pushed the legislation through that gave rights to 'those people', that changed.

That's when the R's "Southern Strategy" gave them power in that region.

The R's are now using similar, but enhanced strategy to gain a lock on power. 

For example, Wisconsin went for Trump in 16, but Biden in 20. Both by fairly slim margins.
We currently have a D governor, but have bounced back & forth between R & D pretty regularly.
We currently have one US Senator that's R and the other is D.

Seems pretty even, right?
However the Congress reps are 5-3 R over D.

The state legislature is even worse.

State senate is 21-12 R over D
Legislature is 61 - 38 R over D.

The governor (D) recently vetoed the new district map because it was gerrymandered even worse. 

Many other states have similar imbalances (representation not reflecting state wide voting)

Throw in what the Rs have done to the judicial branch, putting in judges that will be on the bench for a LOOOONG time, there's a huge threat to US democracy.

Reaching the point where elections are held, but the outcomes predetermined by those in power is a lot closer than many realize.

However, Congresscritters are 

Edited by wolfriverjoe

21 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I served with a considerable number of liberals that would refute that general characterization. Democrats from the south can be viscously offensive - and not just with guns. :) 

I'm you and I don't bark that shit since I got me a firing pin. That reminds me that I don't have any ammo because of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Absolutely.

Prior to the Civil Rights legislation in the 60s, much (most?) of the South was a Democrat (not 'democratic') fortress. 
While elections were held, the only winners were those put up by the party machine.

After Johnson pushed the legislation through that gave rights to 'those people', that changed.

That's when the R's "Southern Strategy" gave them power in that region.

The R's are now using similar, but enhanced strategy to gain a lock on power. 

For example, Wisconsin went for Trump in 16, but Biden in 20. Both by fairly slim margins.
We currently have a D governor, but have bounced back & forth between R & D pretty regularly.
We currently have one US Senator that's R and the other is D.

Seems pretty even, right?
However the Congress reps are 5-3 R over D.

The state legislature is even worse.

State senate is 21-12 R over D
Legislature is 61 - 38 R over D.

The governor (D) recently vetoed the new district map because it was gerrymandered even worse. 

Many other states have similar imbalances (representation not reflecting state wide voting)

Throw in what the Rs have done to the judicial branch, putting in judges that will be on the bench for a LOOOONG time, there's a huge threat to US democracy.

Reaching the point where elections are held, but the outcomes predetermined by those in power is a lot closer than many realize.

However, Congresscritters are 

Hi Joe,

Re:  After Johnson pushed the legislation through that gave rights to 'those people', that changed.

With the Civil Right Act of 1964 & the Voting Rights Act of 1965, Nixon saw his chance.  In 1966 he began making speeches in the 'New South' about how we would only nominate Supreme Court judges who were in thinking with those 'new Southerners.'  It worked as he got the nomination & the Presidency in 1968. *

It is still working today.

Jerry Baumchen

* Nixon once said his favorite song was Dixie.  

Dixie (song) - Wikipedia

Dixie - Anthem of the Confederate States of America - YouTube

9 hours ago, BIGUN said:

C'mon. Both parties put on their gerrymandering strategic war hats after every census. NY being one of the most ruthless - for years.  You do realize the Democrats control the House.  

The Democrats control the house after getting millions more votes. When the Republicans control the house they do it after getting fewer votes. The republicans also control numerous state legislatures where their voters are significantly in the minority. 

By arguing that both sides must game the system the same way because sometimes the Democrats win things you are being wilfully dishonest. You know damn well that sometimes the Democrats win because more people vote Democrat.

”I will agree the pendulum has swung towards to the Republicans being more guilty for this next election.

The pendulum has swung to them being more guilty since Nixon.

10 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Afternoon, Jerry.

I thought it was pretty straightforward too. The Republicans do it when they’re losing and they do it when they’re winning. They do it with far more national coordination and commitment and they’ve been successful to the point where numerous state senate majorities are locked in for perpetuity regardless of popular vote outcome. 

It’s not like you don’t know the Republicans are THE anti Democratic Party.

3 hours ago, jakee said:

By arguing that both sides must game the system the same way because sometimes the Democrats win things you are being wilfully dishonest.

Jakee, one of the biggest reasons I don't respond to you often is - you can never make your point without tacking on some personal dig.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Jakee, one of the biggest reasons I don't respond to you often is - you can never make your point without tacking on some personal dig.  

How is it a personal dig? You’re intelligent enough to know it’s true. If you’re too sensitive to deal with it being pointed out when you’re intentionally misrepresenting reality then you should stop doing it. Aren’t you supposed to be in favour of personal responsibility?