1 1
JoeWeber

Karen McDonald, prosecutor

3 hours ago, Coreece said:

Exactly!  A vice president killing a founding father in a gun duel illustrates quite effectively the positive mindset surrounding firearms at the time.  They were responsible, they had honor, they had rules!   And they had class. . .not like today's kids.

image-placeholder-title.jpg

The had a duel, they didn't go shoot up the school house...see the difference?

3 hours ago, Stumpy said:

This is just so weird

Whats more Americana than your wife with a Tommy gun and your 13 year old daughter with a Uzi? All together for the Christmas family photo for your constituents.

I can hardly hear for all the dog whistles a-blowing.

41 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Whats more Americana than your wife with a Tommy gun and your 13 year old daughter with a Uzi? All together for the Christmas family photo for your constituents.

I can hardly hear for all the dog whistles a-blowing.

It’s called virtue signalling and owning the libs. It’s working here exactly like he wants it to.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

I think you're missing the point, but here, since you brought it up:

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

I note how "The two most notable U.S. school shootings in the early 1970s were the Jackson State killings in May 1970, where police opened fire on the campus of Jackson State University and the Kent State shootings also in May 1970 where the National Guard opened fire on the campus of Kent State University."

Both clear cases of right wing excess.

12 hours ago, BIGUN said:
13 hours ago, Coreece said:

I think you're missing the point, but here, since you brought it up:

https://www.k12academics.com/school-shootings/history-school-shootings-united-states

How fucking disturbing is that? 

Especially love the part where it says, "The early 1980s saw only a few multi-victim school shootings."

One of the things that immediately stood out to me was how the numbers for the 2000s were significantly lower than those from the 90s.  So something's working, right?

But again, the point here is that we have a vice president and a founding father, both of whom were supposedly intelligent, insightful leaders of the time, and these guys decide that the best way to solve their differences is by shooting at each other? Add to that the school shootings during the 1800s along with the acquittals, and it's easy to see that appealing to the intentions of the founding fathers and the mindset surrounding gun ownership at the time is a rather weak argument that gun law enthusiasts like to use.

Btw, I was prompted to post here because this one hit close to home.  My stepdaughter was to start school there Monday before the shooting, but her admission was delayed.  Obviously we have some decisions to make.  I want to send her elsewhere, but I can't help but to think that's just an overreaction.  It might actually be safer now, and I don't think there have been any repeat occurrences at other schools, right?

47 minutes ago, Coreece said:

One of the things that immediately stood out to me was how the numbers for the 2000s were significantly lower than those from the 90s.  So something's working, right?

But again, the point here is that we have a vice president and a founding father, both of whom were supposedly intelligent, insightful leaders of the time, and these guys decide that the best way to solve their differences is by shooting at each other? Add to that the school shootings during the 1800s along with the acquittals, and it's easy to see that appealing to the intentions of the founding fathers and the mindset surrounding gun ownership at the time is a rather weak argument that gun law enthusiasts like to use.

Btw, I was prompted to post here because this one hit close to home.  My stepdaughter was to start school there Monday before the shooting, but her admission was delayed.  Obviously we have some decisions to make.  I want to send her elsewhere, but I can't help but to think that's just an overreaction.  It might actually be safer now, and I don't think there have been any repeat occurrences at other schools, right?

Again, the fact that two people decided to have a duel over 200 years ago has ZERO relevance to someone unloading semi-auto weapons into kids who were just trying to go to school.  

I'm not a parent and I won't pretend to understand the difficulty of the decision you've got to make with your step-daughter in the aftermath of this, but I wish you and your family the best.

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Perhaps.  But the numbers lately don't look like they are going in the right direction.  Gunfire incidents on school grounds:

2021 144
2020 96
2019 130 
2018 105
2017 170
2016 61 
2015 66
2014 67
2013 51

And looking at victims of school shootings: (graphic below)

shootings.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lippy said:
3 hours ago, Coreece said:

Again, the fact that two people decided to have a duel over 200 years ago has ZERO relevance to someone unloading semi-auto weapons into kids who were just trying to go to school.  

But it is relevant to the post I was replying to about the intentions of the founding fathers.  Hamilton's poor decisions regarding firearms in his personal life provide insight into the gun nut mentality of that time.  If two men of that stature felt this was a reasonable solution, then who knows wtf they were thinking. 

2 hours ago, billvon said:

the numbers lately don't look like they are going in the right direction. 

Gunfire incidents on school grounds. . .

While the number of deaths appear to have decreased, I'd agree that the upward trend over the last several years in the total number of incidents might be a better indicator of things to come.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coreece said:

By luck; not by design. 

I really don't know how to address this.

My daughter has had the school locked down due to "active shooter" situations at least five times. Around here, "active shooter" is defined as any unknown human threat to the children on campus grounds. In most cases, campus police handle it before they get inside the building. And, our campus police are armed.  But, we are fortunate to live in the upper-end of middle class and our school system in one of the best.

Having said that, I buy two of those rubberized shove under the door stops for each door for each class (most times two doors, so four per class), that she's in at the beginning of each semester to give to the teachers. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Hamilton's poor decisions regarding firearms in his personal life provide insight into the gun nut mentality of that time.  If two men of that stature felt this was a reasonable solution, then who knows wtf they were thinking. 

Before there were reliable firearms for duels men of "honour" used swords or daggers. It really had very little to do with the chosen weapons. As far as the intention of the 2nd goes, it is written quite clearly and I do believe it is being interpreted as it was meant to be. I am also quite sure that if these men had enough vision to see clearly into the future (which is not a reasonable thing to hope for) they would have written it differently, probably with more emphasis on the "well regulated militia" part. 

The 2nd is an error that will eventually be changed.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The 2nd is an error that will eventually be changed.

You really don't have a firm understanding of American culture. To even attempt that would make January 6th look like a five-year old's birthday party. 

12 hours ago, Coreece said:

But again, the point here is that we have a vice president and a founding father, both of whom were supposedly intelligent, insightful leaders of the time, and these guys decide that the best way to solve their differences is by shooting at each other?

It was a day and age when dueling was normalized, much like school shootings today.

(edited)
16 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

You really don't have a firm understanding of American culture. To even attempt that would make January 6th look like a five-year old's birthday party. 

Apparently you don't understand the meaning of "eventually". When the far right wing takes over they will be the ones to forcibly disarm the population. People think of an armed population as a conservative thing, but in reality it is an ultimate revolutionary liberal idea. The people in charge will stop it using martial law one day.

I have a better grip on American culture than you realize.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Apparently you don't understand the meaning of "eventually". When the far right wing takes over they will be the ones to forcibly disarm the population. People think of an armed population as a conservative thing, but in reality it is an ultimate revolutionary liberal idea. 

To wit:

The GOP supported gun rights in California only until the Black Panthers began to arm themselves.  At that point they passed very rapid gun control laws (under an emergency provision) and none other than conservative icon Ronald Reagan signed it into law.

(edited)
5 hours ago, BIGUN said:
14 hours ago, Coreece said:

By luck; not by design. 

I'm afraid you might be right.  Looking at the numbers,  it's quite possible that Death has been getting cheated over the last 5-10 years.  Given the substantial increase in the number of incidents lately, let's hope he doesn't collect on any equity that he may be owed.

(apologies if that doesn't make sense, it's another poker concept)

ETA: I just wanted to note that I'm referring to the last 5-10 years.  I think the significant decline from the 90s is legit given the significant decline of all crime during that period.  It appears school shootings seem to correlate with gun crime trends in general, at least from what I remember.

Edited by Coreece

I can understand what motivates a student to shoot up a school. Back in elementary school, I was bullied every day by the same gang of boys. The gang was led by the son of the local Penticostal minster. His sister routinely bullied the girls in my class. Despite my repeated complaints, teachers and parents remained blissfullully ignorant of the habitual bullying.

I contemplated carrying a .22 caliber pistol to school. I considered telling bullies to leave me alone, 3 time. If they persisted, I thought about shooting them in the belly.

Then I reconsidered the bigger picture starting with adults' willful ignorance. I knew that no adult would listen to my side of the story and would brand me the aggressor. Then I expected them to toss me in a prison or reform school saturated with bullies. 

In young adulthood, I got physically fit and adopted a surly, macho attitude, just below the threshold of starting fights. 

As I mellow into old age, I now leave punishment of bullies to God. God or the devil will punish them far more cruelly than I can in this mortal world.

2 hours ago, BIGUN said:

You assume the far left would let that happen. 

They may not have a choice.  Between redistricting, armed insurrections and legal challenges to democratic elections, the right may have found methods to deny power to those they see as enemies.