skydajka

Knee pads for tunnel flying

Hi everyone,
I was wondering whether you could recommend any specific knee pads suitable for tunnel flying. I am looking for something good and thin, so I can wear them underneath my suit.

I've heard volleyball knee pads are good - but then again, ebay is full of them. Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

I've heard the argument that not having knee pads will encourage you to fly better and not hit the walls.

If it's true, it takes a long time for some people to learn that lesson.

*winces*

(I don't wear knee pads. But I probably should. Let us know what you choose and how well they work out?)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Joellercoaster

I've heard the argument that not having knee pads will encourage you to fly better and not hit the walls.

If it's true, it takes a long time for some people to learn that lesson.

*winces*

(I don't wear knee pads. But I probably should. Let us know what you choose and how well they work out?)

As a former tunnel instructor I can tell you I wore kneepads anything I was learning something new, as well as anytime I was belly flying more than a 2 way.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

diablopilot

As a former tunnel instructor I can tell you I wore kneepads anything I was learning something new, as well as anytime I was belly flying more than a 2 way.

I'm certainly not a tunnel instructor, but I've seen many of them wearing the pads. And I've collected a bruise or two in the windy tube. Certainly think we'll get some pads for Vskydiver and see if they have any my size.

Just spitballing for tunnels out there. Not much can be done about the net (dacron instead of wire maybe?) but has there ever been discussion of having pads on the walls, removable or otherwise? The plexiglass is pretty much there for observers and some gym wall type pad that could be put up and taken down might be worthwhile? Or is it just not enough of an issue / then people would be too comfortable and start smashing into the pads?

Also curious about why they all use uncoated wire, I would posit most breakage comes from friction rather than load, and even if load causes the break, friction probably severely weakened the wire. Or has coated wire been used and the coating just got sloughed off pretty quickly?

JohnMitchell

The original wind tunnels were padded on the insides. No reason except marketing and visuals as to why it couldn't be done again.

the air flow over the pads is more turbulent than on a smooth surface.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What type/brand did you wear (diablopilot) -if u can say.

I would really appreciate and value your opinion since you are a tunnel instructor..

I have researched the brands mentioned here and G form look good albeit not cheap (knee/elbow) while the other McDavid hex knee seem to have a problem with hex pads coming loose if used on a floor type sport - possibly not a problem in a tunnel scenario.

I think they were ASICS, but any to these should probably do....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=adult+volleyball+knee+pads&sprefix=adult+volleyball+%2Caps%2C1903
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.