Avikus

Power Tool - Yes or No?

JWest

You can use whatever works for you. Seriously it doesn't matter.

I'm not a rigger, but I alway pack my own rig. I use to have a power tool and loved it. Then one day lost it, (or maybe someone took it), and now I just use a pull-up cord instead because it is free.

JohnMitchell

***Power tools...absolutely a Packer's best friend !

"For tandems, I lay them out for the professional packers." :DB|

...they always do, John... :P:)
even hubby, has been known to just "drop" his off for me to pack...

I do appreciate how you say you "lay" yours out...some have come back pretty gnarly :|:o

So 2nd to a power tool being this Packer's best friend...

is a respectful & grateful TI-turning hot loads or not B|;)

I accumulated enough power tools (pack boys) to have one in every piece of clothing I regularly use for jumping, say 5 or 6?! They have their designated pockets. Packing with them indeed requires a bit of technique but once memorised it's much easier and faster than packing bands.
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

***I do appreciate how you say you "lay" yours out...some have come back pretty gnarly :|:o

When I have some down time, I'll walk thru the tandem rigs and stow handles, straighten lines, untwist bridles. At another DZ, where that's required, I had a gnarly rig and a quick turn. I told the packer "I'll give you a $5 untangle fee when I get back!" :D

I try and take care of the people taking care of me.

Yes, definitely.

Used pull up cords for thousands of pack jobs. The old kind made of binding tape that shredded your hands, not the new soft ones. Still, the switch to power tools was a one and done affair. No going back.

The also work great on demos to anchor your risers or leg straps in the grass (like a tent peg) in lieu of packing weights.

AlanS

***You can use whatever works for you. Seriously it doesn't matter.

I'm not a rigger, but I alway pack my own rig. I use to have a power tool and loved it. Then one day lost it, (or maybe someone took it), and now I just use a pull-up cord instead because it is free.

I just ask around the packers/jumpers and if anyone ends up with one that's unusable because the line broke, they usually have no problem giving me the metal part.

I take some cypres cord and make it useable again, now I have a small pile of them and I'm pretty good at not losing them. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

We actually took one, adding a bit of our own custom modifications to our preference, to a local metal fabricator & had 100 custom tooled from harder steel.

*personally don't like round end & sharp groove edges sometimes catches cord, so had it modified enough to hold cord in place & these don't bend.

Costs = just pennies !

We have quite few cypress line (finger trapped), cords premade, so always have a few ready to go, for years to come & give to students we've taught to Pro Pack &/or other Staff Tandem Packers ;)

Its a preference. I have been a packer full time for four years(Part time for 5 years) sport and tandem and now just pack my own or if the resident packer needs a hand. I prefer pull up chords for sport rigs and power tool for tandems for a couple of reasons, most of them have been brought up. I am just as quick if not quicker on a sport as someone with a tool.

Hi skygypsie, I agree with not leaving or using scissors for broken rubber bands. I have strong enough hands to pull and break them but if they dont break off or if I am showing someone else I use the closing pin. It is not a sharp edge and it is always close by.