1 1
Phil1111

It Is Engineers, Not Politicians, Who Can solve Climate Change

On 11/20/2021 at 7:50 AM, wmw999 said:

So either I have to replace my recently-deceased Civic, or rent trucks from Home Depot when I want to buy something. It's a hassle calculation. Otherwise, we can probably get by with one car.

Wendy P.

About 2 years ago, I did a cost/benefit comparison about keeping my truck or trading it in on my new car. Even though it is slightly less convenient to rent the truck from Home Depot, It was by far the best financial decision. I think I rented their truck 4 times in the past 2 years totaling about $230. One of those where I had to drive 50 miles away to pick up 4x8 plywood because it was in stock at that store. As a rate of comparison, my insurance/tag/upkeep on the truck I had was approximately $250 every 6 months.

The only downside is that I have to get up early whenever I want to rent the truck. I can't be lazy and head to Home Depot at 10 AM expecting to rent the truck that is already gone.

Based on the last month with one car between us, it’s a hassle, but might be a terminal hassle in the summer, because the car we still have has a sunroof that seems to be incompatible with any extant kayak rack. Not by itself, but that may help to tip the scale.
Wendy P. 

On 12/9/2021 at 9:45 PM, wmw999 said:

Based on the last month with one car between us, it’s a hassle, but might be a terminal hassle in the summer, because the car we still have has a sunroof that seems to be incompatible with any extant kayak rack. Not by itself, but that may help to tip the scale.
Wendy P. 

Get an SUV and a utility trailer.  You have the cabin space for passengers and 3/4 ton hauling with the trailer.  Also, the trailer is lower to the ground so it is easier to load and unload.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:48 AM, CygnusX-1 said:

About 2 years ago, I did a cost/benefit comparison about keeping my truck or trading it in on my new car. Even though it is slightly less convenient to rent the truck from Home Depot, It was by far the best financial decision.

Yep.  I need a pickup about five times a year.  I rent one from the local U-Haul-It for $19 a pop (ends up being $30 with mileage.)  So that's $150 a year for all the "truck" I need.

I may actually get a super small trailer and ditch the truck rentals as well; I rarely carry more than about 1000 pounds of stuff.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Yep.  I need a pickup about five times a year.  I rent one from the local U-Haul-It for $19 a pop (ends up being $30 with mileage.)  So that's $150 a year for all the "truck" I need.

I may actually get a super small trailer and ditch the truck rentals as well; I rarely carry more than about 1000 pounds of stuff.

I just like driving my F-150 around the airport at warp speed for giggles alone. Can't do that in a Prius. 

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's what the Tesla is for.

From what I've seen those gems need some suspension work. At SDO the minimum DZO driving speed in the landing area is 60 mph, that's a problem. I was looking hard at the EV F-150 but I hate Club Cabs. Maybe when you get serious and develop the 100 pound car battery we'll all be better off.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I just like driving my F-150 around the airport at warp speed for giggles alone. Can't do that in a Prius. 

Hi folks,

I've known Joe for over 30 yrs.  I can say that I have never seen him in a cowboy hat or wearing cowboy boots.  And, I don't think he has a gun rack in the back window of that F-150.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Drag racing 1000cc street bikes down the runway after dark with a bit of a glow on is always fun.

On the runway I’m thinking of you had to get on the brakes by the time you passed the taxiway or else you’d go off the end. A good friend figured that out for us with his ‘62 vette. Drop zones are so dangerous after dark.

9 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

On the runway I’m thinking of you had to get on the brakes by the time you passed the taxiway or else you’d go off the end. A good friend figured that out for us with his ‘62 vette. Drop zones are so dangerous after dark.

We have a 6800 ft. runway. Right beside it is what used to be a parallel runway that is now a .......dragstrip. A real dragstrip that sometimes has AA fuelers. But we used the runway because the dragstrip has a fence.

28 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

We have a 6800 ft. runway. Right beside it is what used to be a parallel runway that is now a .......dragstrip. A real dragstrip that sometimes has AA fuelers. But we used the runway because the dragstrip has a fence.

Nice. Ironic that the fence is probably there to keep you guys safe from yourselves.

3 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

Nice. Ironic that the fence is probably there to keep you guys safe from yourselves.

The fence is there mostly because they charge admission to spectators. It makes bad spotting and landing out a bit of a pain sometimes.