SoCalJumper

Gerardo Flores, just filed the lawsuit in Monterey County Superior Court.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how does this even happen? On purpose? I just started backflying (in the tunnel) with coaching, and I have zero idea how to even start sit-flying. Do you mean they just belly fly so sloppily that they accidentally end up in a sit?

Never mind, you did say "accidentally." Sorry.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

I've only heard a very brief passing mention on radio skydive UK of a presumably very experienced tunnel flyer doing it on their consols. What would the AFFIs say to the student if they tried it on the AFF levels or coached jumps (not sure how it works in CSPA).

"You're going to have to repeat this jump."
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

radical_flyer

I didn't imagine that freefall students attempting or performing freeflying positions was a thing that would actually happen, how do you know that it does?

Free flying positions doesn't only mean free flying. Students are known to tumble out of control or get stuck on their backs on a semi regular basis. This does happen.

Also, it's not only AFF students on their AFF levels that use student gear. Jumpers doing consols or some of their first licenced jumps before buying their own gear will use it as well, and some of these people will try and freely or do various other silly things no matter what the DZ, the BPA, the USPA or anyone else says about it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?