1 1
brenthutch

Wrong track

30 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Do you want to know why 70% of Americans think the country is on the wrong track?

Two words…progressive policies 

Given that the majority of voting Americans have voted for the party of progressive politics at every national election since '08 but have been saddled with conservatives in control of some or all of the government for that whole time, it seems extremely unlikely that your hypothesis is correct.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Given that the majority of voting Americans have voted for the party of progressive politics at every national election since '08 but have been saved by conservatives in control of some or all of the government for that whole time, 

FIFY
Democrat control of the House + Democrat control of the Senate + Democrat in the White House = 70% wrong track 

Did you listen to the hearing?  Green supply chain?

Edited by brenthutch

Brent, you’re increasingly part of the past, like the guy from the 80’s for whom Russia is always going to be an enemy. There are still people who think that way, just as there are young people who don’t think the environment matters, as long as there’s a cheaper price to be had for something. 
Yes, I’m also part of the past.
Wendy P. 

America rising again.

-trump is gone.

- America is looking at a bipartisan infrastructure bill. One that trump promised but that republicans never even brought to a vote.

-the pandemic is finally looking like its over. The CDC speaks the truth again absent political interference.

-unemployment 4.6% with consumer spending at record levels.As more and more people can finally enjoy life.

-trump says stock markets will crash if he loses election. Instead the market jumped 500 points the day he was defeated.  Roll forward to today and the markets are up 33% from the day the scourge of trumpism was ended.

-President Biden is far more popular than trump at the same time of their respective offices."The national poll, conducted Nov. 9-10, found that 46% of U.S. adults approved of Biden’s performance in office, while 49% disapproved and the rest were not sure. Biden’s approval numbers have hovered below 50% since August. At the same point in Donald Trump’s presidency, about 37% of Americans approved of his performance in office, while 58% disapproved."

spacer.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

FIFY
Democrat control of the House + Democrat control of the Senate + Democrat in the White House = 70% wrong track 

Even now most attempts at passing progressive policies are being blocked in the Senate and drastically anti-progressive rulings are being made in the Supreme Court, whose makeup is the opposite of what the American people have consistently wanted for well over a decade.

Again, it's highly unlikely to the point of absurdity that your hypothesis is correct.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Only if you are changing the terminology from "pandemic" to "endemic."   New cases in the US are up 20+% in the past two weeks.

While thats true: "Case counts are starting to rise, fueled largely by deteriorating conditions in the Upper Midwest and persistently high infection rates in the West."

Its difficult for rational dialogue, discourse to make inroads into FOX country where anti-vax ideology is strong. President Biden has just ordered a Sh*tload of the new Pfizer pills that should save the lives of the most fervent gun-a-totn anti-vaxer.

I'd suggest that the stock markets and consumer spending are the best indicators of the rising confidence of Americans.

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Then why do 70% of Americans think we are on the wrong track?

Because there are trump supporters that don't own homes. Therefore they have missed out on skyrocketing property values. Although they will complain in the coffee shops about increasing property taxes associated with that.

Because there are trump supporters that don't believe in 401k plans so they have missed out on the 33% rise in US equity markets. Instead they "invest" in guns and more ammo.

Because they all tend to drive gas guzzling 4x4 trucks, look with scorn on Prius and EV drivers. So a few pennies more per gallon upsets them.

Because they have their noses so far up Rupert Murdoch's ass. They can't smell the roses of an American renaissance.

I'm sorry to say Brent, but neither can you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Then why do 70% of Americans think we are on the wrong track?

Well, first of all - it's a bullshit poll. I don't trust polls where I can't read the questions to determine bias. And, my favorite thing about this particular poll is:  

Also in the NBC News poll, 71 percent of Americans say they believe the country is headed in the wrong direction, up 8 points since August. That includes 93 percent of Republicans, 70 of independents and even 48 percent of Democrats.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/biden-s-job-rating-sinks-42-percent-nbc-news-poll-n1282781

Look down at the bottom - that 70% is an average of percentages. I'm not a fan of that methodology:

https://www.robertoreif.com/blog/2018/1/7/why-you-should-be-careful-when-averaging-percentages

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Well, first of all - it's a bullshit poll. I don't trust polls where I can't read the questions to determine bias. And, my favorite thing about this particular poll is:  

Look down at the bottom - that 70% is an average of percentages. I'm not a fan of that methodology:

https://www.robertoreif.com/blog/2018/1/7/why-you-should-be-careful-when-averaging-percentages

Any bias at NBC is in Biden’s favor.

3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

As compared to the media sources you're aft to quote. Why is it that Bigun and Wendy have you pegged?

It's pointless to show such a graph.  Trump supporters have claimed that FOX News is a lefty biased source when it reports on something they dislike, like Trump's "suckers" and "losers" quote.  There is effectively nothing you can do to convince a Trump supporter that a given fact is real, and not a result of media bias.

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Oh, but Brenthutch is a true mastermind when it comes to percentages!!!!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

It's pointless to show such a graph.  Trump supporters have claimed that FOX News is a lefty biased source when it reports on something they dislike, like Trump's "suckers" and "losers" quote.  There is effectively nothing you can do to convince a Trump supporter that a given fact is real, and not a result of media bias.

Just like a lefty does when FOX is cited.  Pot meet kettle.

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Hi Keith,

Re:  I don't trust polls where I can't read the questions to determine bias.

As an engineer & a guy who loved his Statistics class, I am 100% with this.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

Re:  I don't trust polls where I can't read the questions to determine bias.

As an engineer & a guy who loved his Statistics class, I am 100% with this.

Jerry Baumchen

I believe the question was “Is the country on the right track or wrong track” 

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I believe the question was “Is the country on the right track or wrong track” 

With the answer given because it continously gets pushed down conservative routes despite voting progressive. It was nice of you to bring this to our attention.

Edited by jakee

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

As Phil has shown, NBC has a left of center bias.  In fact NBC is as far left as FOX news is to the right. Thanks Phil

No, not in fact.  Fox Business has a similar amount of skew as NBC.  Fox News edges into the hyper-partisan category, with unreliable value of content.

The chart should be updated to include Murdoch's Australian Sky News  (but that might require the chart to be extended both down and to the right).

17 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

It literally asked:

“Now, all in all, do you think things in the nation are generally headed in the right direction, or do you feel things are off on the wrong track?”

71% responded “wrong track”