1 1
brenthutch

NOAA confirms the pause continues

Signs Someone Is Trolling

It can sometimes become difficult to tell the difference between a troll and someone who just genuinely wants to argue about a topic. However, here are a few tell-tale signs that someone is actively trolling.

Refusal to acknowledge evidence: Even when presented with hard, cold facts, they ignore this and pretend like they never saw it.

Dismissive, condescending tone: An early indicator of a troll was that they would ask an angry responder, “Why you mad, bro?” This is a method done to provoke someone even more, as a way of dismissing their argument altogether.

Seeming obliviousness: They seem oblivious that most people are in disagreement with them. Also, trolls rarely get mad or provoked.

How Should I Handle Them?

The most classic adage regarding trolling is, “Don’t feed the trolls.” Trolls seek out emotional responses and find provocation amusing, so replying to them or attempting to debate them will only make them troll more. By ignoring a troll completely, they will likely become frustrated and go somewhere else on the internet.

You should try your best not to take anything trolls say seriously. No matter how poorly they behave, remember these people spend countless unproductive hours trying to make people mad. They’re not worth your time of day.

https://www.howtogeek.com/465416/what-is-an-internet-troll-and-how-to-handle-trolls/

• Like 4

On 11/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, billvon said:

Yep.  Around here, with the drought we've had basically since 2006, you're not going to find many people willing to listen to climate change deniers.  They are living with the consequences of the warming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droughts_in_California

when you live in an arid/semi arid area droughts are par for the course, no climate change needed. Even the IPCC doesn’t claim a link to climate change and drought.

Edited by brenthutch

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Leaving this afternoon for a month in the Antarctic, to check on those glaciers for myself.  Hoping not to do a "Shackelton".

Will that be a month on a boat, or will you be spending part of it on land?

~15 years ago, there was a skydiver at Mile High who was on staff at McMurdo Station. He had a lot of interesting tales to tell about life down there.

Leaving this afternoon for a month in the Antarctic, to check on those glaciers for myself.  Hoping not to do a "Shackelton".

Oh my -- we're doing a 2-week trip next month; a month would be way cool.

Wendy P.

41 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I am very jealous. Enjoy, please share some pictures when you get back!

Add me to the jealous crowd.

Surely they have e-mail and internet on your ship so we all expect pictures sooner rather than later. I'm sure sled dogs won't be on the "Shackelton" antarctic menu experience.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Will that be a month on a boat, or will you be spending part of it on land?

~15 years ago, there was a skydiver at Mile High who was on staff at McMurdo Station. He had a lot of interesting tales to tell about life down there.

The book "Big Dead Place" is a "local's" take on McMurdo.  Very interesting.