1 1
brenthutch

NOAA confirms the pause continues

This is funny the troll says it, just because the NOAA said it was the 6th-warmest October on record in the US (4th warmest globally).

But the troll was silent when it was announced July 2021 was the warmest month on earth ever recorded: https://www.noaa.gov/news/its-official-july-2021-was-earths-hottest-month-on-record

Cherry-picking at its finest.

Edit: also, I predicted this post by the troll:  

On 8/14/2021 at 1:42 AM, olofscience said:

Prediction: we're not going to get a July update from the troll. (we'll probably get an update in October or something, saying "today was cooler than yesterday, ha!")

Edited by olofscience

26 minutes ago, olofscience said:

This is funny the troll says it, just because the NOAA said it was the 6th-warmest October on record in the US (4th warmest globally).

But the troll was silent when it was announced July 2021 was the warmest month on earth ever recorded: https://www.noaa.gov/news/its-official-july-2021-was-earths-hottest-month-on-record

Cherry-picking at its finest.

Edit: also, I predicted this post by the troll:  

Isn’t choosing the one month out of seven, while ignoring the YTD average the definition of cherry picking?

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Six years+ and no additional warning despite record levels of CO2.

You would think all the deniers would have learned after they failed so miserably with their "there's only one problem with global warming - it ended in 1998!" claim.

But I guess not.  Perhaps that level of science denial means that you have to pretty much refuse to learn from both your mistakes and history.

40 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Isn’t choosing the one month out of seven, while ignoring the YTD average the definition of cherry picking?

But you haven't calculated the YTD average, nor can you do any competent data analysis :rofl:

Ever heard of Lowess smoothing? It's a bit like taking an average too. Here, NASA has done it for you:

image.png.ea87a040ee816814ecf51062e6be88d5.png

Source: https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v4/

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

You would think all the deniers would have learned after they failed so miserably with their "there's only one problem with global warming - it ended in 1998!" claim.

But I guess not.  Perhaps that level of science denial means that you have to pretty much refuse to learn from both your mistakes and history.

I am just sharing what NOAA published.  What do you take issue with?  No new record temperature? Arctic ice? Tropical cyclones?  Where did NOAA get it wrong?

And this was also predicted because of the La Niña event in the tropical Pacific.

"The global temperature for 2021 is unlikely to be a record year due to the influence of the current La Niña, but it will be far warmer than other past La Niña years such as 2011 and 2000 due to global warming," said Prof Adam Scaife, head of long-range prediction at the Met Office.

Researchers say the impact of a natural cooling event like La Niña, while important, is hugely overshadowed by the warming driven by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

According to a provisional assessment from the World Meteorological Organization, the warmest six years in global records dating back to 1850 have now all occurred since 2015. The Met Office expects that 2021 will edge out 2018 for sixth place.

Source: article from December 2020 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55365414

You've really got nothing, brent.

Edited by olofscience

54 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That's what he always does,

It's just the sad predictability of the troll.

I predicted he'll make this thread, and he did.

He's crowing about the data coming in how October 2021 is 6th warmest, but it was also already predicted and explained back in 2020.

Now he's predictably hiding and blaming the NOAA for his misrepresentation.

Edited by olofscience

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

And this was also predicted because of the La Niña event in the tropical Pacific.

Source: article from December 2020 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55365414

You've really got nothing, brent.

Thanks for the backup, 2021 will not be a record, just as I (and NOAA) predicted. Curious how La Niña is cited as a reason for cooling yet El Niño never gets the credit he deserves for warming.

3 minutes ago, olofscience said:

You didn't predict it.

And yes, it was accounted for. There's an easily found list of El Niño and La Niña years.

Record warm attributed to CO2. Lack of warming blamed on La Niña.  

Riddle me this Olof, do you think CO2’s contribution to global warming is small and overwhelmed by natural variability or do you consider CO2 to be the primary driver of global climate?

4 hours ago, mistercwood said:

I finally used the ignore feature for the first time in the many many years I've been here. I didn't even use it on Rush when he still posted here, *that's* how little value these posts have reduced to.

Rushmc had entertainment value, rather like RonD.  

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Riddle me this Olof, do you think CO2’s contribution to global warming is small and overwhelmed by natural variability or do you consider CO2 to be the primary driver of global climate?

Since your brain can't handle more than one variable at a time, you won't understand the answer.

For those who can handle more than one variable, here's basically brent's argument: the sun sets in summer, it gets colder. "summer has paused!" It's hard to overstate how stupid the argument is.

Edited by olofscience

I guess the troll is actually correct. The cause of global warming is not carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It is the sun.

I wonder if he’s ever been cold in bed and put an extra blanket on. I wonder if he thought the blanket was generating heat to keep him warm?

Edited by gowlerk

22 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I guess the troll is actually correct. The cause of global warming is not carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. It is the sun.

I wonder if he’s ever been cold in bed and put an extra blanket on. I wonder if he thought the blanket was generating heat to keep him warm?

Once you get past 400 blankets, adding more doesn’t make you warmer because the amount of heat they trap is insignificant. Sort of like CO2.