billvon

"I dropped my phone!"

Today I was on my bike making a left turn into a parking garage.  When the light turned green the car next to me started moving, and I did as well.  Halfway through the turn a woman (on her phone of course) looked at me, and then made a right turn into the parking lot right in front of me anyway.  I hit the brakes and yelled "HI!" as loud as I could.  She literally screamed and dropped her phone, then (fortunately) stopped.  I went in front of her and continued on my way.

I have the unsettling feeling that the reason she will be a bit more careful in the future is not that she almost hit me - it's that she dropped her phone.  Can't have that happening.  

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Today I was on my bike making a left turn into a parking garage.  When the light turned green the car next to me started moving, and I did as well.  Halfway through the turn a woman (on her phone of course) looked at me, and then made a right turn into the parking lot right in front of me anyway.  I hit the brakes and yelled "HI!" as loud as I could.  She literally screamed and dropped her phone, then (fortunately) stopped.  I went in front of her and continued on my way.

I have the unsettling feeling that the reason she will be a bit more careful in the future is not that she almost hit me - it's that she dropped her phone.  Can't have that happening.  

City boy problems. If you are riding your bike into a parking garage I'm thinking that you need an environment reset.

5 hours ago, billeisele said:

I'm trying to picture the scenario where one turning left has the right of way over one turning to the right.

Green arrow for left turn into garage.  Red light on opposing street.  Woman attempts right on red.

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

Hey, that's how I do shopping.

By creating chaos amongst innocent vehicalists by careening around town on a semi-invisible, two dimensional suicide contraption? You have a seatbelt on that thing? How would that poor women feel if you hurt yourself being so careless and veering in front of her designed for the city machine? How would her kids get to soccer? 

28 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

By creating chaos amongst innocent vehicalists by careening around town on a semi-invisible, two dimensional suicide contraption? You have a seatbelt on that thing? How would that poor women feel if you hurt yourself being so careless and veering in front of her designed for the city machine? How would her kids get to soccer? 

Won't someone please think of the children!

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Won't someone please think of the children!

As you know; I put about 25-40k on the Harley every year.  I am no longer amazed at the number of parents that pass me at the speed of light with kids in the back whilst texting. I'm stunned that we _only_ have about 30k vehicular deaths a year. 

18 hours ago, billvon said:

Green arrow for left turn into garage.  Red light on opposing street.  Woman attempts right on red.

Ahhh, makes sense.

Have seen enough people blow through red lights with a phone stuck in their face to be super cautious when the light turns green.

6 hours ago, billeisele said:

Ahhh, makes sense.

Have seen enough people blow through red lights with a phone stuck in their face to be super cautious when the light turns green.

Hi Bill,

And, I have probably seen just as many simply going thru the light after it turns red because of 'get there-itis.'

Be careful out there.

Jerry Baumchen

On 11/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, JoeWeber said:

By creating chaos amongst innocent vehicalists by careening around town on a semi-invisible, two dimensional suicide contraption? 

You know, that is a perfect description of foreign tourists renting a bike in Amsterdam.

Fortunately they are easily recognised by their incessant ringing the bell. I swear to god, most of them act as if the contraption is powered by ringing the bell instead of pedalling.

4 hours ago, Baksteen said:

You know, that is a perfect description of foreign tourists renting a bike in Amsterdam.

Fortunately they are easily recognised by their incessant ringing the bell. I swear to god, most of them act as if the contraption is powered by ringing the bell instead of pedalling.

Those are probably Canadians. You ever been to a hockey game?

16 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Hilarious. Jamaica doesn't have brake shops they have horn replacement shops.