1 1
Abv03

Ear barotrauma in skidiving

Question

I was doing my AFF course. So usually spit some blood after each jump.

Consulted a doctor and he diagnosed me that| developed ear barotrauma/eustachian tube dysfunction. Due to rapid pressure change have ruptured few blood vessel in the ear tube guess. I have blocked ears and a still spit little blood in the morning for almost a week after the incident.

I have stopped my AFF due to this issue. Did anyone faced similar issue and any precautions to take so that| can avoid such issues in my future skydives?

3 answers to this question

On 11/15/2021 at 6:07 PM, danornan said:

I'm not a doctor.... The same happened to me in the late 80's while SCUBA diving and it was a one time thing as it's never happened again. I had no pain, but after a normal 70 foot dive, come to the surface with what felt like cotton in one ear and sounds were muffled.  It was later diagnosed (ENT) as the same as yours, a barotrama and after a while, the stuffed/cotton feel went away. I still do a lot of diving and it never happened again.  I was left though with tinnitus in that ear.

In your situation, you might consider a decongestant, after seeing an ENT and not jump with a head cold or if you are stuffy and congested. 

Thanks for the info

Edited by Abv03

I'm not a doctor.... The same happened to me in the late 80's while SCUBA diving and it was a one time thing as it's never happened again. I had no pain, but after a normal 70 foot dive, come to the surface with what felt like cotton in one ear and sounds were muffled.  It was later diagnosed (ENT) as the same as yours, a barotrama and after a while, the stuffed/cotton feel went away. I still do a lot of diving and it never happened again.  I was left though with tinnitus in that ear.

In your situation, you might consider a decongestant, after seeing an ENT and not jump with a head cold or if you are stuffy and congested.