Seanievw

Learning to Jump at Freefall University Spain

I'm a complete newbie to all this stuff.
I'm from Ireland look to learn how to skydive.

I've only done one tandem jump at the Irish Parachute Club in March 2012. I've had an itch to jump even since. I finally have a job that pays every week, weekends off and time to learn.

My long term plan is to travel and see a bit of the world. Ide like to be able to jump in lots of different location around the world sometime in the future. I plan on leaving Ireland around October 2017 for the US.

I live in Athlone and the IPC DZ is only about 45mins down the road, so probably luckier than most in Ireland to be within a reasonable distance to a DZ

Ive been looking into learning with the Irish Parachute Club, ive read lots of good and bad. Seemly taking up to two years to complete your AFF, mainly due to weather, but also other factors involving the club and the general way it's ran.

I've also come across Freefall University in Spain, and it seam to be a no brainier to me. For the price (€<2000), weather and your almost guaranteed to complete your AFF in under a week + the holiday I can't see why not.

Thats where the questions start.
1. Is it a bad thing to learn to jump in a single week.?
2. Whats it like to learn at Freefall University? Ive read some not so good things about it on here but there all 5+ years old threads.
3. What do the Irish Parachute Club think of you coming into there club after learning to jump in Spain.?

If anyone has some answers/ advice/ thoughts it would be great.

Thanks
-Seanie

Seanievw

It is absolutely not a bad thing to finish your aff-course in one week - but a finished aff-course is not the same thing as learning to jump. When you are done with your aff, you know how to fall out of an airplane and act in a way that reduces your chance of getting killed to a reasonably low level. If you really want to learn to skydive, you will have to invest a lot more than one week. There is no shortcut to this.

Seanievw

My long term plan is to travel and see a bit of the world. Ide like to be able to jump in lots of different location around the world sometime in the future. I plan on leaving Ireland around October 2017 for the US.

Learn skydiving first, then think about the travelling. Lots of people go to many dropzones and places and think they are skydiving all around the world, while they do nothing but fall out of different airplanes more or less controlled.
You learn better if you stick to one place for your first few hundred jumps - at least that's my opinion. But I cannot really give any recommendation about the freefall university or the irish parachute club as I don't know both of them personally.
Nice words are not always true - and true words are not always nice.

Best way to get started IMO, I spent 3/4 months getting my AFF. Due to weather / money / life I wasn't able to jump consistantly which meant it took much longer and involved a few retakes. Looking back it would of been better to save the cash up front and smash out the AFF in one go.

Currency is key with this sport!!

2. Whats it like to learn at Freefall University? Ive read some not so good things about it on here but there all 5+ years old threads.
Is Freefall University just a middle man? Skydive Spain is meant to be great, jumps from 15,000 feet and one of the bigger places over there. Just go direct through them would be my advice.

3. What do the Irish Parachute Club think of you coming into there club after learning to jump in Spain.?
No idea about them specifically. Generally clubs are funny about you doing half a qualification in once place and switching over, as long as you complete your AFF and have the documentation you should be fine though they might want you to do a coached jump to make sure you're up to the required standard. This will be much more likely if you go uncurrent (more than a month or more). Best to speak to them.

You thought about getting your A license and AFF at the same time? You'll save money as your already over there and should be able to get both nailed in a couple of weeks.

Good luck!
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.

Thanks for the reply's

When you are done with your aff, you know how to fall out of an airplane and act in a way that reduces your chance of getting killed to a reasonably low level. If you really want to learn to skydive, you will have to invest a lot more than one week. There is no shortcut to this.

I don't yet fully understand the process of becoming qualified but thats basically what I thought AFF was all about (how not to kill yourself) I'm happy to invest that time, just the Irish weather is always bad! Get the big steps out of the way in Spain and then do the rest at home.

CountZero23

Is Freefall University just a middle man? Skydive Spain is meant to be great, jumps from 15,000 feet and one of the bigger places over there. Just go direct through them would be my advice.

Freefall University is a completely different place, run by an Irish man (all English speaking). http://www.freefalluni.ie/ All they do is train people which is why I like the sound of it, full time trainers, and no tandoms bumping you off planes.

CountZero23

You thought about getting your A license and AFF at the same time? You'll save money as your already over there and should be able to get both nailed in a couple of weeks.

That would mean doing AFF (8 jumps) + another 10 consolidation jumps + a bit of paper work? Is that somewhat close to right? Flights are only around €100 so not the most expensive bit of the "holiday". Don't really want to take much more than a week off work if I can.

I did AFF in Spain (a long time ago) and it is a great way to combine a holiday and get your license.

It's worth checking which system they operate under in Madrid - is it BPA (British) or not as this may affect your return to Ireland.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSkydiving/?pnref=about.overview in Empuria Brava. It's a great DZ, lots to do if the weather isn't perfect and Nigel is a great instructor...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

CornishChris

Check out https://www.facebook.com/AbsoluteSkydiving/?pnref=about.overview in Empuria Brava. It's a great DZ, lots to do if the weather isn't perfect and Nigel is a great instructor...

You've got to be careful with Empuria. It is a great DZ, but tramontana winds can be quite strong and have students and low time jumpers grounded while everyone else is enjoying.

Skydive Madrid (where Freefall university is located) is my current DZ and I would like to tell it has a really good vibe, very qualified instructors, nice chill out zone and plenty of space in hangar for packing. In the last two years I do not have heard almost any complain about it neither from AFF students nor from tandems passengers

Hi Seanie, FFU offer both BPA and USPA certification - I and my eldest son both did AFF there, and have returned since then ... great place, all the crew are cool, both Spanish as well as English, world class instructors, I wrote up my story - maybe read it - it will hopefully give you an idea of what to expect.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4342021;page=unread#unread
Whatever you choose, enjoy it, stay safe and have fun

Seanievw

I'm a complete newbie to all this stuff.
I'm from Ireland look to learn how to skydive.

I've only done one tandem jump at the Irish Parachute Club in March 2012. I've had an itch to jump even since. I finally have a job that pays every week, weekends off and time to learn.

I live in Athlone and the IPC DZ is only about 45mins down the road, so probably luckier than most in Ireland to be within a reasonable distance to a DZ

Ive been looking into learning with the Irish Parachute Club, ive read lots of good and bad. Seemly taking up to two years to complete your AFF, mainly due to weather, but also other factors involving the club and the general way it's ran.

I've also come across Freefall University in Spain, and it seam to be a no brainier to me. For the price (€<2000), weather and your almost guaranteed to complete your AFF in under a week + the holiday I can't see why not.

Thats where the questions start.

If anyone has some answers/ advice/ thoughts it would be great.

Thanks
-Seanie

Hey Sean,

I think I'm in a good position to answer your questions as I did my AFF in Spain and returned to Ireland where I started jumping at the IPC.

I'm back living in Spain now where I jump at Skydive Madrid and know some of the FFU guys.

I also lived in Athlone (not sure if that makes a difference haha).

1. It's not a bad thing to learn in a week but the USPA and PAI A license is 25 jumps minimum so it's an ambitious goal as you'll need the weather to play ball amongst other things.

2. I didn't learn at the FFU but I've meet a lot of FFU students since I started jumping here and they all have seemed very happy. They sell a complete package including accommodation and you will meet a lot of other students if you do the course here. There is a good social side of jumping with the FFU too.

3. Nobody there will care that you went abroad to learn. I did my AFF in Spain and my coach jumps at the IPC. They welcome all types of jumpers from students to experienced fun jumpers.

PM me if you have any questions.