1 1
brenthutch

The new normal

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.axios.com/moderate-democrats-normal-a573377e-cb79-45a6-8290-1e0927814130.html

Moderate Democrats move to distance themselves from “abnormal” woke, progressives.

Excellent.

Wish Republicans would distance themselves from those who post videos of killing a colleague.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2021 at 7:37 AM, brenthutch said:

Moderate Democrats move to distance themselves from “abnormal” woke, progressives.

You have hit on the primary difference between republicans and democrats.

Democrats try to do what they feel is right, even if it conflicts with what other democrats want.  To them, principles are paramount.

Republicans will always do what accrues them more political power, even if it's wrong and against their personal principles.  To them, power is paramount.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, billvon said:

You have hit on the primary difference between republicans and democrats.

Democrats try to do what they feel is right, even if it conflicts with what other democrats want.  To them, principles are paramount.

Republicans will always do what accrues them more political power, even if it's wrong and against their personal principles.  To them, power is paramount.

And that appears to be a direct result of the Newt Gingrich approach to weaponizing politics. I don't remember it being like that before he began his bulldog approach to the House. I might be wrong, however. That does happen every now and then.

Wendy P.

27 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

And that appears to be a direct result of the Newt Gingrich approach to weaponizing politics. I don't remember it being like that before he began his bulldog approach to the House. I might be wrong, however. That does happen every now and then.

Wendy P.

It's happened in the past. But not for a while.

I've heard the opinion that we didn't see much of that for the past 60 or 70 years because of WW2.

The folks serving in office either served in the military, had family that did or were 'on the homefront' during the war (even just as kids).
The concept of sacrifice for the 'greater good', working together with people you may not like very much, the 'common goal' ideal; all of that was ingrained in those people pretty deeply. 

Now that those serving weren't even born until after 1960, they never saw it or even had direct life experiences with those who did.
Not enough to take on the attributes.

On 11/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

It's happened in the past. But not for a while.

I've heard the opinion that we didn't see much of that for the past 60 or 70 years because of WW2.

The folks serving in office either served in the military, had family that did or were 'on the homefront' during the war (even just as kids).
The concept of sacrifice for the 'greater good', working together with people you may not like very much, the 'common goal' ideal; all of that was ingrained in those people pretty deeply. 

Now that those serving weren't even born until after 1960, they never saw it or even had direct life experiences with those who did.
Not enough to take on the attributes.

You still talking about Wendy being wrong?