Hogzilla

"Parachutist" Whatzit #2

Here's another Whatzit question, from the front cover of the March 2015 "Parachutist". What are those fuzzy spots on the brake lines, just above the toggles (see the red circles)?

[inline Parachutist_Whatzit_2_circles.jpg]

[inline Parachutist_Whatzit_2_zoom_1.jpg]

The other 4 minutes and 55 seconds should be spent telling the user to take better notice of their equipment.

I see too many people who don't really care about their gear, and don't pay attention to issues that may need resolving. Anyone with more than half an eyeball and two braincells should have noticed the excess fingertrapped line sticking out during packing...

topdocker

And perhaps he could spend some time untwisting his brake lines.

If you see someone landing with twisted steering lines .... send his kid out to tease daddy about his twisted steering lines.

Because it can result in tension knots, which can give you anything from a spinner on opening, to a sudden blocked toggle during flare, turning it into a low hook turn. It also shortens the brake lines, effectively putting them out of trim.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

For me the excess of steering line showing up, a common and very secondary problem, is just a cosmetic problem, and there is nothing to worry about the airworthiness of the canopy including steering lines. That problem happens when steering lines become slack due to no tension when you leave it on the ground and when the canopy is manipulated. The steering lines, like the suspension lines, are tubular and its strands can separate (when no tension is applied) letting the end of the excess of the fingertrap coming out. Application of some beeswax can prevent that. Now, to fix that, it can be tricky sometimes.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

mathrick

Because it can result in tension knots, which can give you anything from a spinner on opening, to a sudden blocked toggle during flare, turning it into a low hook turn. It also shortens the brake lines, effectively putting them out of trim.

Agreed!
And if you leave your steering lines twisted too long, they take a permanent "set" too short. This is because the slider grommets get all "hot and bothered" and they transfer that heat to the steering lines, permanently shrinking your steering lines.
If you un-twist steering lines every weekend, they shrink slower.

It could get stuck in the guide ring(if pulled down far enough) and not return to full flight. Ever seen a collapsable slider? think of the barb that keeps it inert, same possible scenario. He might have also been referring to the state of his brake lines with the twists in them.

FruitLoop

***Cutaway waiting to happen ;)

How would that little stub lead to a cut-away?

If it can happen, it will.

Ever heard of Murphy? Or the chain of events?

Easy to fix, and cheaper than a reserve packjob.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

With all the twists that appear to be in the control lines and that little bit of excess finger trap hanging out is plenty to catch a guide ring or a slider
I've seen stranger things cause problems. Like a slightly long slider collapsing line cause cutaways..
Personally I think too many people do know or pay attention to their gear.
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area