2 2
brenthutch

Aunt Jamima canceled

14 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I actually asked her and she said it was more offensive to be disappeared.

Which means the original term is still offensive even if something else is more offensive. See, the opposite of more offensive isn't not offensive.

Do you really not understand this, or do you just enjoy making ethnic slurs?

17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Let’s break this down - a company stubbornly and disrespectfully continues to use for years a logo which it knows is offensive to large parts of the minority population it depicts. Then when the company finally drops the logo it does it in a way which avoids making any recognition of or apology for the offence it has caused, and the minority population also finds that disrespectful.

The people to blame for all of this? Woke liberals, obviously. Makes perfect sense to me!

22 minutes ago, jakee said:

...The people to blame for all of this? Woke liberals, obviously. Makes perfect sense to me!

Coming soon to SC a new thread about Woke libtards. Or more posts about Woke outrages upon White, gun-toting Christian Americans who just want the status quo as is.

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

The real question should be not what the keyboard warrior trolls do in places like this. If a man really believes that word is not offensive just ask him if he would be comfortable using in front of a first nations woman, to her face, in referring to her. If not then he is being a coward. If so then he is just a plain asshole.

17 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Let’s not forget the Land O Lakes squaw who was literally removed from her Land O Lake.

Many Native Americans were not happy with the removal of the maiden, "Mia" Historically, the illustrator portrayed the Native Americans in that area in a positive light. The mountain ranges were used in much of his art - and, the circle around her head was a tribute to her beauty. In the end, it was not some "leftie"  who decided to remove her; it was a corporate decision to re-brand all of the LoL products. If memory serves, one of the decision-makers was the son or grandson of the original illustrator.   

As to your use of, "Squaw." Please feel free to visit Oklahoma some time and address any of the Native American women of some greater than twenty tribes in this area and call them that to their face. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“In its historical origin, however, the word squaw is perfectly innocent, as current dictionaries also correctly indicate: squaw comes from a language of the Algonquian family in which it meant "woman.'' 

Calling you gay while you smoke a fag is also perfectly innocent...in historical origin and using a different language/dialect. Yet If I were to actually call you gay in today's environment you would complain about being personally attacked to the mods.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Calling you gay while you smoke a fag is also perfectly innocent...in historical origin and using a different language/dialect. Yet If I were to actually call you gay in today's environment you would complain about being personally attacked to the mods.

What a queer thing to say

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

'Tis the season where we "don our gay apparel" after all

22 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Only if one considered “gay” as a derogatory term, which I don’t.

16 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Only if one considered “gay” as a derogatory term, which I don’t.

And you will find many indigenous who find it offensive and you will find some who do not. In that case, as a non-indigenous person it is probably best to not use the word and not be publicly proclaiming it isn't offensive because you have read somewhere that in historical context it is all fine.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

“In its historical origin, however, the word squaw is perfectly innocent, as current dictionaries also correctly indicate: squaw comes from a language of the Algonquian family in which it meant "woman.'' 

Do the people you’re talking about speak Algonquin? If not do you think they might be offended that to you they’re all the same?

10 minutes ago, jakee said:

Do the people you’re talking about speak Algonquin? If not do you think they might be offended that to you they’re all the same?

You are overthinking this.  If no offense was intended none should be taken, is a good rule of thumb.  I know that many Lefties feel it is their station in life to be offended for others, I am just not going to play that game.

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

But what about a bundle of sticks tied together.

54 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If no offense was intended none should be taken, is a good rule of thumb.

It is. And if a word needs to be explained "I don't intend this as a slur," (generally because often it is used as one), then maybe one should be clearer that no offense is intended. Politeness is knowing society's rules well enough not to cause offense. Society changes, and so do the rules.

You can't call your secretary "honey" anymore, even if she is sweet. Or "deer," even if her name is Bambi. 50 years ago you could.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

You are overthinking this.  If no offense was intended none should be taken, is a good rule of thumb.  

But you are arguing that your use of the word should be considered inoffensive even though you have been told and really should know that the people you're describing will be offended by it. When you know that your use of the word will offend people and use it anyway you really can't argue that you intended to be inoffensive.

For instance, the word negro simply means black in Portugese. The words Negro and Negress originally came to prominence in the US as a more polite way of referring to black people. But would you honestly say today about Aunt Jemima "I think that Negress would prefer to stay on the label" and not expect to cause offense?

Because that's how stupid your argument is.

Edited by jakee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

That's hilarious of you, again. You are apparently unaware that you are aware that innocent behaviors and words may change their meanings over time; Staying current and inoffensive to others might mean that we must also change.  You are finally waking up. 

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

That's hilarious of you, again. You are apparently unaware that you are aware that innocent behaviors and words may change their meanings over time; Staying current and inoffensive to others might mean that we must also change.  You are finally waking up. 

This whole things sounds remarkably like the old white-guy argument "if black people can call each other nigger, why can't I?  Obviously they are fine with it."

52 minutes ago, billvon said:

This whole things sounds remarkably like the old white-guy argument "if black people can call each other nigger, why can't I?  Obviously they are fine with it."

Well Bill, the historical origins of that word are perfectly innocent so what's the big deal?

5 hours ago, winsor said:

That would be 'fasces.'  Are you somehow referring to Fascism?

https://www.google.com/search?q=faggot&rlz=1C1PRFI_enUS786US788&oq=faggot&aqs=chrome..69i57j46i131i199i433i465i512j46i340i433i512j0i131i433i512j0i433i512j46i199i291i433i512j46i199i433i465i512j46i199i465i512j46i199i433i465i512.3392j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8